Hydro fluid leak on main slide

I have a hydraulic fluid leak on rear of main drivers side slide,  how is the best way to determine if seal or hose?  Who works on these units?  Where do I gain access to the hoses?

2001 Monaco exec

any assistance would be appreciated 

kerry

Kerry, I cannot answer all of your questions, but to try to find the source of the leak, just start at the place you can see it and follow it upwards. Sounds silly, I know...but gravity will make the fluid follow it's easiest path down to the ground but could be several feet laterally from the leak.  Sorry I cannot be more help here, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.  Good luck. 

Kerry

First thing we need to know is what Hydraulic Slide System is installed in your coach. More than likely it is an HWH system, you need to verify that. The control panel may have that information on it.

Second item is; are the cylinders that open and close the slide mounted under the slide horizontally below the floor or are they mounted inside the coach vertically at each end of the slide,

There are two hydraulic hoses that actuate the cylinder and one is normally attached to the rear of the Cylinder and the other should be installed either half way or at the piston end of the cylinder.

If the fluid leak is quite substantial when you are moving the slide in or out it is probably a hose or fitting that has failed. It might also be the shaft seal  on the front of the cylinder.

If you have access to the cylinder and it is an HWH system the cylinder will have a tag on it with the part and serial number.

Depending on the hose and where the failure is it may be possible to fix it in the field. If your cylinders are installed horizontally under the floor, you can access the hose from the bay.

My cylinder is horizontal in the rectangular channel under the slide. I can see the adjustment nuts on the cylinder.  But since the cylinder is inside this rail, it isn’t clear if I remove the nuts will the cylinder slide backwards.  Then how to access the other end. 

I’m thinking it is hwh and they may be my better choice for service. I’m in southern Tx and was thinking ppl may be an alternative 

Kerry, you may have the removal already figured out but if not and if your cylinder mounts look like mine in the pics, I can give you pointers. First, there is no hose to leak inside the square tube but a steel line not likely to leak. Cylinder leak is way more likely. To remove the cylinder, remove the nut underneath at least partially extended slide, removed the two bolts or nuts at the mounting plate in the bay, disconnect the lines at the plate and slide it out of the bay. (This may sound easier than it is depending on clearance, I had to remove a bay door) I had a leaky cylinder seal and a local hydraulic shop got it done the same day for a fraction of new price.

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2952.JPG

Wow, the pics are amazing,  the outside pic looks like mine.  The fluid is leaking out the end where the nuts are in the pic. That tells me it is most likely a seal leak,,  guessing it is better than hose leak. Especially if there are no rubber hoses in the channel.  Now to get in the basement and find the hydraulic plate with the two hoses.  I’m guessing that it is on the passenger side of the large bay, which is more accessible than the drivers side with inverter mounter on the roof of basement on drivers side   

when we put the slide in last time, knowing we had a leak, I’ve been afraid to open it up until we can get it fixed. Not understanding the problem and knowing the extent of the fix had me very afraid to proceed without the wisdom of others who have been down this path before me.  Thanks very much for the advice and possible direction.  

the knowledge in these forums is priceless 

thanks, Kerry 

Edited by Kerry Van
Wording

I’ll look in the morning, then check to see if anyone around can rebuild before pulling it.  

any advice on the best way to bleed the system on the re-install   Besides having a big bucket,  I’m guessing I’ll need to activate both directions with the hoses a bit loose to get any air out.  And that I should do this before installing the nuts outside.  Also mark the nut locations for re-install.    Not sure on how to align and sync with other cylinder.  

May be in pdf above but have not downloaded to my pc.  Reading pdf on phone is a joke.    Now have tomorrow’s activity planned. 

thanks, Kerry 

HWH site has a lot of documentation including the synchronization. I suspect that you have total of 3 cylinders also, since our coaches are only a year apart. The short equalizing cylinder (in fuel tank bay) started to leak shortly after the long ram, we were on a 8k miles trip, probably because it had to move to its extreme end of travel. Besides the gen slide which is also fed from the same reservoir. I think to remember that I did not have to do any major bleeding,  just run it in and out few times. But it's been a couple of years... HWH site is your friend.

• 2 years later...