Steer Tires

Just purchased two new Michelin steer tires as the ones that were on it were starting to weather crack. Consulted with our local tire guy - who I trust - and he agreed it might not be a bad idea to replace them. 
Rather unfortunate as there was still lots of tread left on them, but I’ve seen one too many videos now of motorhomes blowing a steer tire and flipping over.  I do what I can when it comes to safety.  
Anyways, $2000.00 CAD later, I have new steer tires now.  😳  Bit of a hit, but I feel better. 

I have new steer tires ordered and on the way, I opted for the Toyo M122 as I couldn't get the M144 in my size. $720.00 USD delivered and I was quoted  $70.00 each to mount and balance. I am in the St.Louis Missouri metro area and was having a hard time finding a shop to Mount and balance  22.5 tires, which I thought is odd since a lot of semi's run 22.5 tires...

Just did 6 M122 Toyo 255/70R/22.5, spin balanced, mounted and all other costs for $2800 in mid Michigan.  Tires were less than 4 months old when installed.  I do this every 6 years to be safe

• Like 2

Just put on new steer tires at Pomps tire service in Blue Grass Iowa. Micheline XMZ 275/70R/22.5 dated 5/22. Out the door $1540.00. Sold my casings to a local truck company for $160.00. I'm happy. Also put centrimatic bead balancers on $196.00. Thought I'd try them.

21 hours ago, Wrayj1 said:

Rich B, sounds as if tire shops are not happy you didn't buy the tires from them, profit on mounting vs tire sale and mounting not enough for them.

Ray, the shops around me either didn't carry the Toyo tire brand or didn't have the capacity to mount 22.5 tires. Called Purcell tire (local big truck tire shop) and he quoted me the $70.00 each to mount and balance. All he had available for me was Michelin tires. Would have been the same mount and balance fee if I bought the tire from him. It was cheaper to order them in than purchase them locally..I usually try to purchase locally first to try to keep the money in my local economy...

• Like 1

Rich, my post was not meant to imply that you did anything wrong by ordering vs purchasing locally. I agree with buying locally, however, I have run into issues by some folks not wanting to do work unless they sell the product.  Obviously getting the best price in these days of high prices is important.

12 hours ago, Wrayj1 said:

Rich, my post was not meant to imply that you did anything wrong by ordering vs purchasing locally. I agree with buying locally, however, I have run into issues by some folks not wanting to do work unless they sell the product.  Obviously getting the best price in these days of high prices is important.

Ray, No harm no fowl. I did try calling several shops in my local area and even visited a few that were listed as commercial tire dealers..it was a little frustrating to say the least. the shop that will install them does not make appointments  due to staffing issues.  I am so confused about staffing problems in the "new normal ".. seems hard to find good folks to work I guess.