Starter Relay Location

It's been 10 years since I worked on the starter relay for this Coach. But for some reason, I have forgotten the location. Anyone remember which compartment the Starter Relay is located behind. 2002 Monaco Diplomat 40 PST, 330 Cummins??

In the rear compartment, passenger side, there are three relays. A part of the electrical is for the air intake heater, as I recall. But, the first relay has a couple of white wires attached to it, and as I think and recall, this may be the one that had the loose wire on it that caused the starter to intermittently work. I will try to post a picture of it. Do you recall what type of starter relay Monaco used for your Coach?

This is the Panel I am trying to figure out, mentioned above. I have looked all around the engine compartment and tried to follow the starter wires which went into a large wire bundle near the battery compartment. So, I don't think the relay is in the engine compartment.

20220712_Starter Relay.jpg

Relay Panel Rear.eml Relay Panel Rear.eml Relay Panel Rear.eml

Edited by Fountdf
clarification.

I  going to get the DW to turn the key on and see if I hear the starter solenoid click in, and then take the bottom small white wire off and see if it still makes contact or not. The reason I am looking for the starter solenoid is that on another Forum a poster said he had a problem with the starter solenoid getting hot while running which shut his coach down. Since I have been chasing this problem since 2018, I am desperate to find the culprit, so I am down to replacing parts. Until I find the issue. Thanks for your help.

OK, thanks for the confirmation. Had hoped to get back and check the circuit today, but it now will be Friday. That relay looks rather small from what I remembered. Of course it has been 10 years since last looking at it. Take care. David.

OK. That is the starter relay that I thought might be suspect, based on a previous post that I read. However, the way Monaco set up the starting system, once the engine cranks, the relay and starter solenoid drop out of the system, as I understand the wiring. Just checked for power to the relay with key on, and for instantaneous power during key cranking. All of this seems to be working properly. And no power to relay with engine running, So when the engine dies, the dash power should not be affected by the starter relay circuit, as one poster has suggested.

There is however, a problem of some magnitude in the Front Electrical Panel. When your open that compartment, there is and has been a faint smell of burnt wiring. I thought it was maybe from the burnt sockets we replaced back in 2018, but all of that material was removed. That I suppose is my next target. I will have to loosen all of the wire bundles and look for a circuit breaker or something that may be causing a circuit breaker of either a coil to open when it gets hot. Wish me luck. Thanks..

• 1 month later...

Still searching for potential short, but the only thing I can find that has burnt smell is the Latch Relay(ordered a new one) in the front electrical panel. I have not had any losses of instruments that should be powered by the Latch Relay, and as I understand the function of the Latch Relay, it is "Coach Battery Electrical." I wouldn't think it could be associated with the Dash Instrument Panel going dark when the engine dies.

Has anyone heard or seen a situation where this Latch Relay(Labeled as Aux Start Relay" on the Electrical Panel) has caused the Ignition Relay to cut the power to the Dash Ignition Switch? Thanks.