2004 Safari Panther entry door striker bolt replacement

Well, it finally got me.  I have been locked out of my 2004 Panther a couple of times over the years.  A pull on the latch caused it to disconnect from the mechanism and then there's no way to open it from the outside.  Fortunately, there was always a window unlatched that my wife was able to crawl though and save the day.  Then about 2 years ago I figured out to adjust the latch so it wouldn't do that.  No problems for 2 years.  Then, I got locked out a truck stop, and windows all latched.  I was getting ready to break a window, then realized I could probably just cut the strike bolt with a hacksaw blade.  About 30 minutes and I was in!  Haven't been able to find a replacement strike bolt yet.  The part screwed into the door frame appears to be a 3/8" coarse thread, about 1" long.  Then there's a 1 1/8" flat washer that seats against the door frame.  The "post" that the latch grabs is 1/2" OD and am guessing about 1" long (the cut-off part fell inside the door, haven't found it yet).  

Has anyone had to replace one of these strike bolts yet?  Where did you find one?

Thanks!

I'll be following this closely. I've been looking for a new striker bolt for mine for a long time. What makes it particularly difficult is that most of them are sold by application but rarely give all of the dimensions.

I think I've found it! It's made by Trimark, part number 10335-16.  Make sense, because the latch part is Trimark also.  Available at:

https://www.rvpartscenter.com/shop-by-categories/list1/rv-door-locks/trimark-model-030-0900-rv-entry-door-lock/striker-bolt-500-in,-trimark-10335-16-detail.

I'll replace it, re-adjust the lock mechanism, but ALWAYS leave a window unlatched in future.

Guest Ray Davis

Wow, what a great find.   

Inside the door, in the lock mechanism there is a small bronze bushing that can wear out.  There have been threads about this mostly on IRV2.

Anyway,  if yours is worn out try to replace it.  A suitable replacement can sometimes be found at hardware stores.

I searched on this forum for door lock bushing and found where Myron posted about it.  https://www.monacoers.org/topic/4737-entry-door/#comment-43761

Look down to Myron's post, it's 4 down,  where he has a host of downloads including one about the door bushing, It's down quite a way, like # 43.  They say unavailable 

but it opened for me, don't know what that's all about.  Myron has quite a library that I should take the time to investigate / save.

I recommend everyone thake a look at that download it really shows what's inside our doors and how it works. I don't know how to display it here, maybe someone can.

Thank you MyronTruex

Thanks for the tip.  The rvpartscenter link I posted earlier did not work out for me, they are unable/unwilling to charge to a Visa card associated with a Canadian address, so once again it was Amazon to the rescue!  It's a 2 pack, so now I've got a spare!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005JV8D22/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1