Onan LP Genset - Cranks no Start

Bob Jones

FWIW, My 1998 Dip came with a propane generator.  It was a pain in the petut.  I ended up changing it out for a Onan diesel genset.  The biggest problem was finding a diesel cradle to replace the propane cradle.  A fork lift is needed to take the propane generator out, replace the cradle and install the diesel genset.  You will also need to install a diesel fuel line and the return line if the diesel tank is located between the 2 main rails.  I recommend letting a Onan dealer perform the switch out.  

3 hours ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

Is the genset set up to run off liquid or gas propane?  If it is set up to run off gas propane you will have issues.  Set it up to run off liquid propane.  

It runs on liquid propane. I do have the service manual but was hoping to find some of the most common issues. I'm guessing not many have the propane genset.

Your post is the first post I have seen on this site about a propane generator in years.  Since you have had success with yours, I would recommend that you take it to a Cummins authorized distributorship dealer for servicing.  They will be able to get it up and running.  The work that they perform is warranted and is good at any other distributor dealer in the US.  That way you can rely on your generator when you need it.    www.cummins.com/locations    

• Like 1

Any code flashes from the start switch?  Maybe not with a no-start scenario. 

Check the air filter box for obstructions / critter nests (longshot, but easy to check).  Same for exhaust. 

You can put a timing light on one of the plugs to see if it flashes.  Or pull the plug and look for an arc. 

Inspect the wiring for critter bites.

Check the oil level.

- bob

In another thread there were suggestions of jump starting their 12.5kW genny from a vehicle.  Seems the battery cables were undersized for such a long run from battery box to generator. 

Worth a shot . . . .

- bob

41 minutes ago, cbr046 said:

In another thread there were suggestions of jump starting their 12.5kW genny from a vehicle.  Seems the battery cables were undersized for such a long run from battery box to generator. 

Worth a shot . . . .

- bob

Yes, there is an active thread.  What I might try, since I have had that problem…cranking…but due to a bad ground connection on the House battery is this.  Hook up Jumper cables and do NOT start the vehicle…assuming it has a good battery.  Then start the Genny.  If it continues to run and functions OK, then there is either, most likely, a bad cable or connection or bad battery….and the Genny needs 12 VDC to run.  Then comes the problem solving.  Read the other post.  Start with the ground studs for both the House and the Chassis.  Yes, the Chassis is just good PM while you are there.  If you don’t find a bad connection all the way to the front and it will not crank now, or it cranks and will not run, use a Jumper cable to the Chassis in the battery box.  If it cranks and runs fine, you have an issue with the House batteries,

NOW this assumes it cranks off the House.  It also assumes that the Chassis batteries are OK.  IF it cranks off the Chassis, but doesn’t run or will not crank, then there is a connection (loose high resistance) issue.  If it will not Jump Start from the battery connection studs, it is an internal Genny issue.

There may be others ways to trouble shoot, but this, too me is the simplest and it does some much needed PM…

Let us know….