2016 Lincoln MKX toad

Daryl Ammons

With 2WD you'd have the option of installing a drive line disconnect but not so with AWD. 

With AWD the engine has to stay running to keep trans pump running. 

If the engine stalls while towing it could be catastrophic for your wallet.

- bob

1 hour ago, cbr046 said:

With 2WD you'd have the option of installing a drive line disconnect but not so with AWD. 

With AWD the engine has to stay running to keep trans pump running. 

If the engine stalls while towing it could be catastrophic for your wallet.

- bob

The link that I provided shows that both the AWD and FWD models are towable, doesn't mention the need for a drive line disconnect.

But as with anything on the internet, each individual must verify on their own.  The manual would the best reference. 

But even with that there could be problems that have been identified after the manual was printed/published.  I know that several years of the Jeeps had problems that resulted in a TSB/fix.  Some good, some bad.  My Jeep had a recall for the "rolling in neutral" issue so they reflashed the computer>>> Guess what, after that it was hit or miss getting it to go into neutral to tow.  Wife got stranded up in NY couldn't get it go into neutral to pull, took it back to a dealer up there and they reflashed.  It fix it for a little while and the Gremlin came back.  We were stuck in FL and couldn't get to go into neutral so one of us drove it home.  Found a work around on the internet, had to pull a fuse so the computer would reset.  This would fix it but I had to do that every other time we tried to get into neutral.  During this time Jeep was oblivious to the problem, said they had no reports of this even though I found dozens of sites on the internet reporting it.  Jeep Customer Service was in denial along with the local Jeep deeper. 

I got curious so I looked it up (slow morning).  The 2016 MKX owners manual has the following instructions on page 269:

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2016-MKX-Owners-Manual-version-2_om_EN-US_10_2015.pdf

But could the "Neutral Tow" mode disengage by itself?  Seems like someone with a newer F150 wrote about that. 

- bob

Bob,

I believe it's worth doing dueligence on an issue like this.   Personally I would a search for failures associated while towing the make/model you are interested in. 

I know there was a recent post on the Ford Raptors catching on fire   https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/ford-raptor-flat-tow-fires-578331-7.html

Post #94 has a link to a TSB.  It basically says that Ford will not warranty or be responsible for a vehicle that has been towed.   I think they have the capability of checking on the computer to see if has been.  The TSB says to work your insurance company if you have a loss but I doubt you'd get any assistance if Ford as a warning not to tow it. 

• 1 year later...

I found the following posts of interests because we own a 2016 Ford Edge AWD (Virtually identical to the 2016 MKX) and our owner's manual states clearly that it can be flat towed "after transfer case is in Neutral". After researching what that requires and learning of Ford's problems with the transfer case not staying in neutral and having the transmission destroyed and requiring a $6-7k replacement I left our Edge in the garage and tow my 95 Ford F150 4WD with a manual transfer case.