2008 Contessa Generator Slide Hesitates to CLOSE

MODERATOR ACTION

This is the original Post, with the title edited to include pertinent information.  A DUPLICATE was just posted....  This is in violation of the Site Rules.  No action will be taken at this point....

Please DO NOT REPEAT or DUPLICATE A POST...

Generator slides hesitates to CLOSE when the switched is pushed.  Will eventually close after repeated attempts.  ALWAYS OPENS on the first attempt.  Suspect the rocker switch or the relay??  Any information on where the relay to CLOSE the Generator Slide is appreciated.

Ron

19 hours ago, Ron Shantos said:

Generator slides hesitates to CLOSE when the switched is pushed.  Will eventually close after repeated attempts.  ALWAYS OPENS on the first attempt.  Suspect the rocker switch or the relay??  Any information on where the relay to CLOSE the Generator Slide is appreciated.

Ron

My MEMORY.  That is a CARLING switch.  Look at your prints.  The switch PN is called out.  You can also get a schematic from the Carling site by googling the PN.  Your problem has popped up at least 3 time recently.  I can’t recall the model interchange, but if you download the prints for the 2008 Dynasty, I think the Contessa is listed.  Find the Genny print.  Look at the picture of the contacts.  One side has all four used and there is a wire on the other side of one contact.  The 2 side by side contacts is the “light”.  So, the other 3 contacts below are the “operation”.  The center one in those 3, is the power. The switch pops up and out.  Take a picture and label the TWO contacts on either side of the middle power lead.  Swap #1 & #3.  Now, it will work backwards….so understand that.  If it tens hesitates on opening  or extending….then you have a switch issue.  You CAN order a new switch….with the same PN.  THEN you carefully remove the top rocker or mushroom….and put it or snap it into the new switch.  But….if the slide continues to hesitate on closing….

Odds are the VALVE.  This is a common problem.  Monaco used Teflon tape…a no-no.  The valve needs to be CAREFULLY disassembled and cleaned.  I think the valve info is in the Parts List.  Download that.  You can get new O-Rings and the other replaceable parts (springs?).  Make sure the bearings on the frame or roller assembly (the TRACK) on each side are well lubricated.  If there is a mechanical issue, then eliminate that first.  Then swap the two wires on each side of 5he power switch….then clean the valve.

Memory says there is a fail safe or switch in the circuit as well to make sure it is closed….look at the prints.

Good Luck. Keep us posted

BTW.  I did edit the Title.  I think you can do so also.  Add 2008 Contessa to the beginning.  That makes it more searchable.  I can’t edit a title from my iPad so I ask posters to do that.  I got on my PC this morning and did that. Follow that syntax for future new posts.  Makes it easier for folks to contribute and understand.

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2008 Contessa Generator Slide Hesitates to CLOSE

The hydraulic system (pump) also operates both of the FRONT room slides in & out with NO problems every time.. The slide EXTENDS the generator with NO problems.  The problem is RETRACTING the generator slide.  I suspect the generator slide switch in the lower driver side bay OR the relay.  I have NOT been able to locate the generator slide relay, I assume that it is relay controlled.  Pushing the retract switch repetitively will eventually retract the generator slide.

I do not know the model.  The hydraulic pump is Lippert

IF you have the COMBO unit where the same hydraulic pump works both, then you PROBABLY have some trash in the valves. There are posts here where folks have disassembled the valves and rebuilt them. It is a common problem on the early 2000 Windsors.  We don't have a lot of Beaver posters so we don't know what is on them and such.  The fact that you have a combo hydraulic is the giveaway for trash...

Try MY reversing trick on the switch.  That will eliminate a switch.  If the problem after reversing the contacts and you run the switch "backwards" is still on the retraction or closing....then it is time search and read up on rebuilding the valve.  it was not a hard job....many folks without a lot of skills did it.

You can also google and see if there is a video on it.

So....it is a whole easier to change wires than to crawl under or find the valve body and tear it down. BUT the good news....once you do it it works.  The theory was that Monaco used teflon tape and the chards eventually worked their way into the valves.  So....I do remember folks, about every few years saying....had to clean the valve body again.  

Good Luck...

Problem resolved.  The switch in the electrical bay was defective on the retract side.  The switch is a Carling SPDT.  Found that they can be carefully taken apart and clean the contacts.  The contact were not pitted but just dirty.  Put it back together and all works.  I did order a new switch on ebay for a backup.

Thanks for all the GREAT info!  Interesting that this circuit does NOT have a relay providing the voltage to the hydraulic pump instead of a switch for the open & close.

Ron