Torque multiplier

96 EVO

Just ordered and received this tool from Amazon (first time anything I've ordered from them, made it to my door in 2 days 😀!).

What an amazing tool for the money! Loosens my overtorqued lug nuts with ease. 

Around here, you wouldn't be able to buy the included 7 large sockets, for the price of the entire kit!! 

Yup,

And if tightening lug nuts keep in mind there is torque lost (typically 10%) that has to be accounted for.  Ensure you are using minimal socket extensions and all is straight on with the lug / multiplier / torque wrench for consistent torque results.

I would do a test up to the max of your torque wrench to document if it truly is 10% or not.

• Thanks 1

Be careful with tightening.  With mine, only 12 lbs on the handle makes it around 400 lbs on the nut, insane. Not even half turn (more like a quarter) from there and it's 500 lbs. I started using a big air gun because it is so heavy but otherwise worked great.

Edited by Ivan K
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Be careful with tightening.  With mine, only 12 lbs on the handle makes it around 400 lbs on the nut, insane. Not even half turn from there and it's 500 lbs. I started using a big air gun because it is so heavy but otherwise worked great.

Yeah, I'll do some practice tightens at about 200lbs to get the proper wrench settings for the gear reductions, and will be able to double check with my 250ftlb torque wrench.

If you went 'Hulk' with this tool, you could likely strip the threads right off the lugs!

2 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Just ordered and received this tool from Amazon (first time anything I've ordered from them, made it to my door in 2 days 😀!).

What an amazing tool for the money! Loosens my overtorqued lug nuts with ease. 

Around here, you wouldn't be able to buy the included 7 large sockets, for the price of the entire kit!! 

I'm not seeing a link or a photo. Did you intend to add one? Thanks for the info.

19 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Be careful with tightening.  With mine, only 12 lbs on the handle makes it around 400 lbs on the nut, insane. Not even half turn (more like a quarter) from there and it's 500 lbs. I started using a big air gun because it is so heavy but otherwise worked great.

Sounds like I may be better off using the inch/lb torque wrench with the multiplier?

Also, once I get the torque wrench dialed in to give me a true 230 lb/ft on the lugs, I'm assuming it would just be a matter of doubling that number on the torque wrench to give me 460 lb/ft?

Yes, I used in/lbs wrench, 12 lbs is too little for the bigger one. I can't tell with any certainty that the force will be linear,  logic would say so but...  I use and electronic torque adapter and a 3/4 breaker bar with a pipe for the final torque, maybe 6' long all together. Just did all wheels after a brake job yesterday and still feel it.

This is the torque adapter/meter setup, for reference. Not much more that a good in/lbs wrench if you don't already have one.

IMG_20221012_120615939_HDR.jpg

Edited by Ivan K