Replacing city water inlet due to leak

Analyte

Well, as most here have experienced themselves I got a leak at the city water inlet valve on the 2000 Dynasty. I walked outside and was greeted to a lot of wet ground so it was easy to trace back, lol.

I pulled off the old inlet and the internal rubber check value was also bad. It was a Camco part number 40055 which a search online showed it was available almost anywhere. I stopped into Walmart to pick up a spare, but I'm looking for a better fix since I just believe that inlet valve kills volume at the expense of pressure. The pressure has never been great, and after looking at the old valve there are 4 slots around the metal center square where water gets by. I decided to run a trial.

The parks water pressure is at 60psi so its right around the max based on my research. I took the old Camco part and drilled a 1/4 hole through the center. I reinstalled it, though leaking, and when I checked inside the volume was much better while pressure using a sprayer was much better. No doubt the leak was hurting pressure, but the increase in volume was impressive.

I then removed the old and installed the new Camco 40055 out of box, and the volume took a hit as well as pressure. I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. 

I'm thinking I should just buy some open brass connections to connect the hose and remove the 40055 entirely. Then just run a pressure regulator at the site  tap adjusted to 55psi. I believe that will provide better volume while still controlling pressure from getting to high.

Tell me if I'm nuts, but the 40055 seems to limit volume more than necessary unless I'm missing something. I don't want to flood the Dynasty but I want more water volume.

Those d*** things are not check valves and are a poor excuse for a water regulator.  They are definitely water restrictors. I throw all of them in the trash the very first time I encounter one.

Invest in a good water regulator that is adjustable with a gauge.

• Like 1

https://www.campingworld.com/valterra-lead-free-brass-adjustable-water-regulator-49511.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign={Campaign}&gclid=Cj0KCQiAm5ycBhCXARIsAPldzoVD_afoPIm2j49wldEJ-DktEPUjhSFjCRMBQNWcTmfjJq__tmD9v64aAslOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

We use our MH a LOT.....averaging almost 60 nights out....for the first 10 years.  On one of western trips, there was a warning about CG WP.  I KNEW the cheap Camco was NOT up to the task.  We got one of the above from Camping World.  I think that Amazon also sells them.  $46.

There USED to be a nice Watts (premier brand) unit that was around $75.  That turkey has went through the roof.  All I can tell you that after 7 years and probably almost a years worth of overnighting, it has been flawless.  

The OTHER thing, as Richard pointed out.  The Idiotic Camco has NO FLOW.  My adult daughter hated our shower and would go, GOD FORBID, to the bathhouse for better flow when rinsing her hair.  NO MORE.  

Don't trust you plumbing to a cheap alternative.  You have a NICE MH.  Get one  of these....unless you want the WATTS name.....then that is up to you. I have nothing but great things to say about mine and only wish I had bought it way long ago.  Don't leave home WITHOUT IT.

I did pop for a very nice Y adapter for it.  I leave in on the outlet. I have a Sanicon and need that for Backflushing.  Great addition.

Thanks for the fast replies!

This is my first MH so I wasn't sure if pressure was low as it was normal. Now that I've found the problem, I have to fix it right.

Tom, it's funny you mentioned your daughter hating the shower as mine has had the same complaint.

I'll take a look at the Watts and the other linked option. I'll order one and pick up some parts to plumb it right.

Thanks again for the help!!

10 hours ago, Analyte said:

Thanks for the fast replies!

This is my first MH so I wasn't sure if pressure was low as it was normal. Now that I've found the problem, I have to fix it right.

Tom, it's funny you mentioned your daughter hating the shower as mine has had the same complaint.

I'll take a look at the Watts and the other linked option. I'll order one and pick up some parts to plumb it right.

Thanks again for the help!!

Parts aren’t needed the way I do mine.  I have a hose reel.  I just screw the Valterra onto the CG faucet. I DO, somewhere in the hookup, have a high quality washing machine screen filter rubber gasket to keep out sediment.  Once the Valterra is hooked, and the brass Y (good flow…plastic cheapies restrict), I attach the hose.

The Valterra has hose fittings on each end.

Amazon sells full flow Y for hose irrigation systems.

Tom, thanks for the detail. For parts, i was referring to the connection end for the MH. With the Camco valve removed, the remaining threads are above the wet bay bottom edge of the cover. By extending it down an inch or two I'll be able to secure the hose while making it easy to remove/replace.

2 hours ago, Analyte said:

Tom, thanks for the detail. For parts, i was referring to the connection end for the MH. With the Camco valve removed, the remaining threads are above the wet bay bottom edge of the cover. By extending it down an inch or two I'll be able to secure the hose while making it easy to remove/replace.

Cool.  Good luck