2004 Safari Cheetah bedroom slide problem

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Our Cheetah has four slides. Our curb side bedroom slide appears to be hung up on the rear track and the entire slide will not come in. I removed and inspected the roller in the inverter compartment, found a very old AA battery which may have been wedged or near the roller. Reinstalled the roller, still hung up on the rear track. Any comments or thoughts will be appreciated.

Is the slide motor working?  I had the same slide on my dp and the motor had to be replaced.  It was able to be brought in with a socket and an extension on my drill

8 hours ago, Joel & Susanna said:

I'm going to check that motor (in the inverter battery bay) in the morning. Thanks for the tip, will post the update

Generic comment.  If this is the Bedroom (long) bed slide….and it “ratchets” or clicks at each end, it is a LIPPERT System

9 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Generic comment.  If this is the Bedroom (long) bed slide….and it “ratchets” or clicks at each end, it is a LIPPERT System

I have two motor assemblies, one located above the wheel well and the other which was not working in the battery bay. 

I removed the motor assembly in the battery bay and bench tested it only to discover there was a locking tab on the back of the motor. The motor worked, I don't know why this tab was in the locked position but moving it allowed the motor to work. Remounting the motor and the roller the slide worked but the rear motor assembly struggles to keep up with the front motor, seems to be weak. 

There is nothing that I can see under the slide that would seem to drag that side of the slide but it is slower. 

13 hours ago, Joel & Susanna said:

I have two motor assemblies, one located above the wheel well and the other which was not working in the battery bay. 

I removed the motor assembly in the battery bay and bench tested it only to discover there was a locking tab on the back of the motor. The motor worked, I don't know why this tab was in the locked position but moving it allowed the motor to work. Remounting the motor and the roller the slide worked but the rear motor assembly struggles to keep up with the front motor, seems to be weak. 

There is nothing that I can see under the slide that would seem to drag that side of the slide but it is slower. 

This is generic and folks with the SAME probability have more insight.  USE a VOM and have someone run the slide….  Measure the voltage on the MOTOR pigtail…usually you can get the meter leads on the terminals.  Many have use a needle or straight pin and stuck that into the motor leads and out alligator clips on.  

You should see almost the exact voltage to the motors.  If the balky one is lower, then figure out a way to swap them or reverse the motor pigtails on the control board.  Check for polarity from the control board and make sure that the motors are the same.  On SOME lippert systems, you have to reverse the plug to get it to run the right direction.  If you do the lead swaps, test to make sure that if you swap the leads, the polarity going (or required) to each motor is the right direction.

This will isolate the voltage source from the motor.  If reversing the leads and using the “works OK” power to the “Runs slow” motor makes the that motor hum and work great…..you have a voltage drop or a high resistance connection upstream.  It aint the motor.  But if the balky motor runs balky, the. It is the motor.

Only way to isolate

Thank you so much for your time and input. The control board is not in the battery bay, the harness goes inward towards the center of the coach.  as soon as I find it I will swap leads to determine if it's the motor or not. I think it might be located in a large box under the bed, not exactly convenient lol. 

I really appreciate this site!!

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the responses to my issue of the bedroom slide rear track binding up. 

Magically I was able to retract the slide after giving it a rest and removing the old AA battery that was caught in the rear roller.  I jokingly asked my wife if she had lost any batteries from any devices but this was in there quite some time. I tested the motor on the garage bench and it worked fine. I was careful to position the slot back where it was prior to removal. 

I never found the controller assembly or the source of the clicking but it was not in the battery bay. I believe it is in a large box under the bed. As soon as it warms up a little I plan to dig into this area further for the slide still lags on the rear track. The issue I believe is mechanical, not electrical however I plan to switch the motor leads once I dig in the area under the bed.

Thank you all for the responses so far

Edited by Joel & Susanna

• 7 months later...