Is it worth the risk to use a cover for cold winter storage?

a4epilot

I'm considering leaving my 2006 Windsor outside in northern ID for the winter using a high-quality complete cover. 

The water system will be properly winterized. Electrical power will be available to keep the batteries charged but I don't want to rely on it to keep the Aqua Hot connected if the power should fail when no one is around, therefore, the reason to winterize.

Approximately, twice a month someone will be there to look it over inside and outside.

I fully understand the possibility of chafing damage to the paint if the cover is not applied properly so I don't think that would be a high risk.

What kind of damage could be done during the storage as it will be subject to sub-freezing temperatures for long periods?

Is it worth the risk?

Inside storage is not available.

Thanks. 

Gary K

Gary

My coach is winterized,plugged into 50 amp, I have a coach cover and it is parked on crushed  stone. The cover stays on,no scafing and stayed on during hurricane Fiona in Nova Scotia, I have had covers for the last 10 years, well worth the money.I will look up the brand of the one that is on there now, I have cameras with live feed and recorder if any animals or people are near it. I also have 3 mouse deterrent (Tom cat) plugged in the basement, one in the engine compartment and one inside

Hope this helps

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

The issues I had with the cover were installing it and removing was tough for one person.  It is hard to climb that ladder carrying the large cover.  Forget it if the wind is blowing. 

When removing it you have to pull up all the sides and roll it up on the roof.    

It is also very hard to get the front door open without partially removing the cover.  

The other issue is the covers do not last.  I had two covers warrantied because the fabric would not hold up in the sun.  

We bought a cover from Camping World for ours and it fits like a glove, like it was custom made. Yeah, it’s a royal PITA to haul up the ladder, but I had my nephew help me and it wasn’t that bad. We’re down south from you, in Nampa. The Treasure Valley gets some pretty good wind, but the cover stays put, thanks to the bottom straps. Best $863 we spent.

Don't carry the whole cover up onto the coach, I usually do it bright and early in the morning with no wind,any wind I stay on the ground, I roll it up,place the back portion over the air horns with someone holding the ladder,then I get up from the back,someone holding the ladder, walk to the front and start to pull it up while walking to the back,nice to have someone on the ground if you get snagged up. Never stand on the cover,always have you feet on the coach just in case a wind comes up and grabs it. Keep the belly straps loose so the cover can move with the wind.

Never had an issue, done it alone many times, just the extra person is nice, safety first!

Wayne 

1999 Signature ceaser 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The best that I found was ADCO,  mine is 45' and fits like a glove, water proof roof ,I believe I paid $ 600.00 cnd for it. This will be the second winter with it on, survived Hurricane Fiona, I had live cameras on it 24/7 ,I watch the wind and rain pound on it, no problem.

Will definitely buy another when the time comes.

Wayne

1999 Signature ceaser 

10 hours ago, det944 said:

Thanks Wayne, much appreciated!

Morning, correction in regards to the cover,I had ADCO in the past,designer series, worked well, the one I purchased now is from RV Cover.ca

Gold shield 5L - size 42 to 44'

Regular price is/was $ 1579.99 on sale for $ 629.00 , free shipping. 

This is an all season cover,very durable compared to the ADCO designer.

Wayne

1999 Signature ceaser 

Here's a thread I started not long ago. 

I don't have a cover on, and can only think it would have made things worse! You need to watch quick temperature changes, and have ventilation going into, and out of  the coach.

I've never seen anything like it, and I've owned coaches for over 12yrs. I was wiping condensation off full top to bottom mirrors, lamp fixtures, the ceiling!

Don't seal these things up tight! Bottom line, the inside of your coach needs to warm up at close to the same speed as the outside air, or you end up with a dripping wet mess! If I knew then what I know now, when I seen the fast warm-up coming, I would have had a couple of windows cracked open, and ceiling vents!

Edited by 96 EVO

Guest Ray Davis
2 hours ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

I have been on this earth since 1941.  I have owned a motor home for several decades.  During those 80+ years the laws of physics and nature have not changed.  Only human opinion has.  

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

What are you talking about?

4 hours ago, Chuck B 2004 Windsor said:

I have been on this earth since 1941.  I have owned a motor home for several decades.  During those 80+ years the laws of physics and nature have not changed.  Only human opinion has.  

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

We're just looking for a little more elaboration on this post you made, in regards to the topic of the thread 🤔!