Norcold 1200LRIM: Is it possible to remotely trigger the eyebrow to power on the refrigerator?

CAT Stephen
Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

I have a Victron Cerbo GX and desire to remotely power on my Norcold 1200 LRIM refrigerator using an appropriate relay.  Essentially, I want to simulate pressing the on/off button on the eyebrow interface.  I have already tried a Switchbot, but the physical dimensions of the Switchbot ruled out that possibility.

Can you explain how you want the remote to work?  When/what would trigger it to turn on and off?  I'm not sure why you are wanting to do this.  A deeper explanation might help.  There are several assistants in Victron's Library, but I sense you're not asking about controlling the relay, but how to use the output of the relay controlled by the Cebro to turn on / off the power switch on the Norcold.  

-Rick N.

Here is one way to do it if the motorhome is plugged in and has wifi. Go to the back of the refrigerator and add a wifi smart plug between the cord and the outlet. Now set your refrigerator to AC mode. The display will read an error but when you turn on the smart plug with your phone the refrigerator will start working on AC.

Edited by Tom Wallis

10 hours ago, waterskier_1 said:

Can you explain how you want the remote to work?  When/what would trigger it to turn on and off?  I'm not sure why you are wanting to do this.  A deeper explanation might help.  There are several assistants in Victron's Library, but I sense you're not asking about controlling the relay, but how to use the output of the relay controlled by the Cebro to turn on / off the power switch on the Norcold.  

-Rick N.

Thank You Rick,

Here is my use case:  I store my Class A at a storage facility and do not run my Norcold until ~24 hours before an RV journey. So, I desire to remotely trigger the Notcold refrigerator to power on.  Unlike a residential refrigerator which powers on automatically when power is applied, The Norcold 1200LRIM requires that I physically press the power button on the Norcold Brow control/ user interface. So, my question is not a Victron Cerbo technical question, but Is a Norcold question of how I could trigger something on the Norcold’s controller board using the built-in relays on the Victron Cerbo GX.

I currently control my Cerbo GX via the remote panel via the internet to power on and power off other appliances and systems on my coach.  So your understanding is correct in that I desire to use the output of the relay controlled by the Cebro to turn on / off the power switch on the Norcold.  This, this is a Norcold control board interface question.

• Solution
10 hours ago, CAT Stephen said:

Thank You Rick,

Here is my use case:  I store my Class A at a storage facility and do not run my Norcold until ~24 hours before an RV journey. So, I desire to remotely trigger the Notcold refrigerator to power on.  Unlike a residential refrigerator which powers on automatically when power is applied, The Norcold 1200LRIM requires that I physically press the power button on the Norcold Brow control/ user interface. So, my question is not a Victron Cerbo technical question, but Is a Norcold question of how I could trigger something on the Norcold’s controller board using the built-in relays on the Victron Cerbo GX.

I currently control my Cerbo GX via the remote panel via the internet to power on and power off other appliances and systems on my coach.  So your understanding is correct in that I desire to use the output of the relay controlled by the Cebro to turn on / off the power switch on the Norcold.  This, this is a Norcold control board interface question.

Tom Wallis' previous post popped up while I was typing.  THAT SOUNDS like something easy to test.  Leave the System in AC.  Then PUSH the OFF button.  Close the Door.  Unplug the Norcold. You NEED to (my layman's approach) let it SIT for a few days or even a month.......to ensure that the Control Board maintains the AC ONLY setting and does not eventually bleed off the STORED setting and go back to DEFAULT. 

NOW....go back and plug it in.  IF it comes on in AC and works....then you have a solution.  OTHERWISE...  MY WAG approach...

Here is my theoretical take....based on my layman's experiences and also dealing with "Momentary Contact" starting....like on the back of an LED TV if the remote isn't handy....you can't.  NOW, having said that, you MIGHT want to contact one of the shops that repair or rebuild or sell their own "BETTER" Norcold Control Boards and see if a "Sneak" set of contacts can be added. 

IF you are someone that wants to "explore and tinker", then look at the attached print.  It APPEARS to have a momentary contract button or switch on the display board.  

NO GUARANTEES OR WARRANTIES ON THE FOLLOWING....just a SWAG.

The Display panel would need to be removed.  You locate the contacts (ON/OFF) on that leg or strip on the board.  You then solder in a lead on either side of the momentary contact switch.  This will become a remote parallel ON OFF switch.  SO....then you have your remote device, using a relay with DRY CONTACTS, supply a MOMENTARY closure.  Thus, the same as physically pushing the button. 

NOW THE DOWNSIDE.  Will the "Display Button" ON/OFF switch work if the DOORS are SHUT?  You will have to experiment. 

How do you KNOW, REMOTELY, that the Refer is running.  So, you MIGHT need some sort of signal (parallel to a component that is ON when running) that sends a pulse or a signal BACK to your device.

YES....it can (might)) probably be DONE.  NO, I don't know how....but just looking at the circuit and doing some "Breadboarding", it might work.

You DO need both an INPUT and OUTPUT.  The input (momentary contact signal from dry contacts)....the output would be a 12 VDC relay that goes to a "OK....I AM RUNNING LIGHT"....assuming the remote device has the capability for both INPUT and OUTPUT to your remote.

AGAIN....this is THEORETICAL.....and your skill and expertise and understanding is the key.....  SO....take is as a way to accomplish something that very few, if any have asked about....and has not, to the best of my recollection, been discussed here or for the past 13 years on the original Monaco'ers site...

Let us know what you do....there are a LOT of curious electronic guru's that would find it fascinating.... 

Norcold LR1200 Wiring Schematic.pdf

I just checked out the "print" that Tom provided, and it appears that you will have to find a way to supply temporary 12VDC to SWITCH DRIVER (see green highlight on the attached drawing).  You can pick up the 12 VDC on Pin 2 of the POWER BOARD, or Pin 11, or 12 on DISPLAY BOARD.  Unfortunately, the other side of the Power Switch doesn't connect to a pin, so you might have to solder directly onto a trace on the board (assuming it's a PWB) or to a terminal if Point to Point Wiring.  I haven't taken apart my Norcold, so I can't say for sure.

Norcold LR1200 Wiring Schematic_rn.pdf