2008 roof. Feels soft/spongy feeling.

Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

I have a 2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PDQ. It is the same as the Camelot 40PDQ. My question is the softness in the roof.

I'm used to a roof that feels hard.

This one has a softness feel to it, all areas. If it was in one spot, I'd say there is a problem for sure.

But this one feels the same all over. There is definitely no leaks now or ever.

Just trying to figure out why they feel this way.

Thank you.

• Solution

Normal with this one piece roof, usualy fiberglass, sometimes aluminum. It is only attached at walls and caps and otherwise floating. It would feel solid around the supports for major openings, like for the AC units, elsewhere it will flex a little.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Normal with this one piece roof, usualy fiberglass, sometimes aluminum. It is only attached at walls and caps and otherwise floating. It would feel solid around the supports for major openings, like for the AC units, elsewhere it will flex a little.

Thanks for that info. It is definitely more supportive at edges and around the skylight and a/c units. Upon first stepping up onto the roof from the ladder I thought, oh no, this is not good.  But when it felt the same all over, I realized this is probably normal. Looked inside every cabinet at the ceiling area and no signs of any  leaks, ever. That made me feel a lot better.  I've had several motorhomes over the last 30 years, but never this quality of one. Our last motorhome was a 2005 Discovery 39' with the typical "hard" feeling roof that I've come to know.

Thanks again for your input.

12 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

When I was replacing my shower skylight, the fiberglass roof was about 1/4" above the insulation Styrofoam.

When I think of fiberglass roof, I think of hard like a surfboard. This surface resembles more rubbery of a top coat surface.

9 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

Yeah, I notice it the most right on the rear cap.

That is mine too. 

Matt, I had a Fleetwood Discovery prior to owning my Dynasty and the Discovery roof was very hard like walking on concrete. When I first stepped on my Dynasty roof I noticed it wasn’t as hard but still solid. I was thinking at first like you is something wrong but then realized that’s just how they where made nothing wrong at all.