Pilot/Flying J RV Plus Card

I tried using my Pilot/Flying J RV Plus card yesterday and was not able to activate the pump.  The screen stated that I did not have a chip card and ended the authorization.  Since it was my toad and the transaction would be small, I used another charge card and got the tank filled.  I called Pilot/Flying J this afternoon and asked about needing a chip card and she stated that they are in the process of updating the RV Plus discount software and a chip card will be required when it's complete.  She could not tell me when the chip cards will be available so in the interim you must (1) walk into the store (2) have the clerk swipe the card to activate the pump/authorize the fuel discount (3) go back outside to pump the fuel and (4) return to the store to complete the transaction/get a receipt if desired.  The fuel discount is nice, but the immediate pump authorization is a huge benefit!  So if you've got the card, expect to do some walking around...the stop will be twice as long.

Adam
2010 Neptune 37PBQ

Checked their website and different than what I remember.  Thought it was 3 cents off per gal and cash price if using their credit card.  Website shows a flat 8 cents per gallon...same discount.   My big deal is turning pump on without going inside.  With their credit card, you can just drive away if you don’t want a receipt.  Also like the idea that their fuel has to be fresh but same with other major truck stops like Love's and TA.

Forgot to mention that the linkage is with Good Sam...

While the TSD card is great compared to the bend over price… paying with your checking account negates the 5% (15-20 cents) back with a Sam’s or Costco credit card plus their price is as good as most discounted price.

Not sure what is going on with Flying J but I steer clear.  Where I live diesel is $4.82 at the Flying J while directly across the street at Marathon diesel sells for $4.10.  It might be difficult to get a semi-truck and trailer to the Marathon pumps but no problem with any Class A.  How do they justify a $0.72 premium?

• Like 1

I have never been able to pay at the pump at a Flying J in Canada with or without the discount card except at the regular pumps or special RV lanes.  When using the truck lanes I always have to go inside and preauthorize the pump which is a real pain at some locations.