Pile Of Fluorescent Lights

I can try to do that tomorrow.  I will have 7 of them as I'm keeping one to install in the rear closet. All work. 

17 hours ago, BlueSteele said:

Can you provide a make and model number? I might be interested.

20230318_132531.jpg

16 hours ago, greenlief said:

What are you replacing them with?  LED's?

Yes, I wanted to save on power and update the coach a bit. Also, being from the North, they take a while getting to full bright.  I made wood planks and put 2 in each location, 1 in the WC and 3 in the kitchen fixture. 

20230318_131605.jpg

• Like 1

Nice install @Agpopp!  Could you provide details on the LED’s you used?  I’ve been considering doing something similar, and like the lights you chose. 

My big hangup has been the cost of the maple I want to use to match the cabinets. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Nice install @Agpopp!  Could you provide details on the LED’s you used?  I’ve been considering doing something similar, and like the lights you chose. 

My big hangup has been the cost of the maple I want to use to match the cabinets. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

The cost of any building material has gone crazy.   Luckily when I bought the 5 acre we build our house on was mostly wooded with some mature trees that I selectively harvested and used in the house Ash for flooring, Cherry for trim and cabinets, Sassafras for doors and trim.  It was a hassle to have it cut, kiln dried, and milled but well worth it.  Just finished building a bookcase/door going into a small "secret" room I'm building above the garage off a bedroom.  Last of my Sassafras other then slabs.

Finished doors closed.jpg

Door open.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Yes, I actually planned out the whole project then came across a guy who put up a vid doing the exact same thing.  I needed 3 packs of lights (18) and had to make:

7- 6x19 and 1- 6x13 oak planks, 1/2 thick stained to match and 1-11X36.75 piece of .25 plywood for the kitchen light insert (slid in place of the crystal deco cover) 

In the vid, the guy is able to catch the ceiling plywood, but my ceiling is cut flush to the Aluminum framing, so I had to reuse the screws and drill the planks to match. 

To save on costs,  you could certainly use all 1/4 plywood as the padding of the ceiling would most likely hide the edges. 

The 2 in the slide needed switches installed as there is no wall switch,  so I drilled and filed holes to fit one in. I used wire nuts and connected to the factory pigtails. 

They are from of course, Amazon: 

Facon 4.5Inch LED RV Puck Light, DLFST4-008, Full Aluminum Recessed LED Ceiling Lights, 12V Interior Light for RV Motor-Homes Camper Caravan Trailer Boat (Pack of 6) https://a.co/d/e7vS0o9

And I don't know why the pics are upside down. 🙃 

20230318_131614.jpg

20230318_131621.jpg

On 3/18/2023 at 11:55 AM, allphase8 said:

i might be interested. How much and where shipping from?

I'm in Pittsburgh, PA. Let me know whatnthey are worth to you.  I do believe 6 are 18 inch and 1 is 12 inch. 

57 minutes ago, astgerma said:

How did you hinge the door on secret room.  Nice job!!!

I looked at different options.  You can buy a system where the door pivots with a top and bottom pin system but the problem with that is lost door with depending on depth of bookshelf.  I only had a 32" doorway to work with so if you put in a ~10" deep cabinet the door reduces to almost 20".  Not wide enough to easily get anything through,

So I opted to have the bookshelf/door swing out and away by using a 3.5"X3.5" post for stucture, ripped to a 1" &  ~2.25" after planning.  I mounted 8 mortiseless hinges along one side, barely having the hinge visible.  I then mounted this to the door casing using long screws making sure to center the door and that it was plumb in both directions.  Then attached the bookcase to it, I used recessed shelf hangers and put the heavy screws in the mortise so after the shelf hanger was installed they weren't visible.  I know there is some weight on this so I did put a caster under the shelf barely elevating it off the floor I can adjust it to take weight if necessary.  The bookcase swings easily and turned out then I expected.  Solid Sassafras. 

I also needed to come up with a lock/latching system.  Lots of different methods so I had to get creative because of the way I mounted the booksheld/door.  I McGyvered it and used a standard gate latch but had to come up with a linkage and hidden latch.  The linkage is actually a toilet flush lever connecting rod formed to work.  The latch to unlock it is barely visible on the inside, I will have a book eventually attached that will tilt forward to unlatch the door it is close to the bottom shelf toward the front of the bookcase.   

Onto the next project, milling ~160 sq ft of oak for the flooring

Lock.jpg

Linkage.jpg

Latch.jpg

Hinge system.jpg

Edited by jacwjames