Leg 2 of 50 Amp service not working Monaco 2005 Executive

rschley
Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

5 minutes ago, Chris Leedle said:

Tom,  No I did not cut off the plug.  It was the two piece style and I opened it and checked wire end to wire end.  I also used the plug and cord for over a month before I had time to swap out the reel.  I didn't take any pictures or I would put one up for you.  A little background on me, I have over 40 years experience in field service supporting a wide variety of equipment.  I still manage a large team that supports Plasma Etchers in the Semiconductor Industry.  I know my way around high voltage and schematics.  As a manager I like doing all my own work on my Camelot as I don't do any hands on in my work anymore. 

Thanks for all your feedback.  More eyes and brains on a problem makes it easier to get fixed. 

Cool.  Just wanted folks to know that there is a high probability of a molded plug being the cause of a missing leg or neutral.  In your case, since you already had an aftermarket plug and could test it, that was why I kept probing.  Obviously no stranger to advanced troubleshooting shooting.  But sometimes even the experienced forget KISS and assume something, like a molded plug, is good.

Thanks….

• 5 months later...
On 3/24/2023 at 11:42 AM, Chris Leedle said:

Tom,  No I did not cut off the plug.  It was the two piece style and I opened it and checked wire end to wire end.  I also used the plug and cord for over a month before I had time to swap out the reel.  I didn't take any pictures or I would put one up for you.  A little background on me, I have over 40 years experience in field service supporting a wide variety of equipment.  I still manage a large team that supports Plasma Etchers in the Semiconductor Industry.  I know my way around high voltage and schematics.  As a manager I like doing all my own work on my Camelot as I don't do any hands on in my work anymore. 

Thanks for all your feedback.  More eyes and brains on a problem makes it easier to get fixed. 

Our 2006 Camelot 42 DSQ is experiencing the same issue, with the help of @Scotty Hutto (thanks again Scotty) he helped Ted narrow down that it is one of the 2 things mentioned. @TedZimmer will be attempting the end of the plug replacement praying that is all it is, if not then off to option 2 while on a 5 week vacation in the NorthEast, a temp line bypassing the reel, which just had its gears rebuilt 2 months ago and a WD combo installed on top of what would have been easy access to the reel location (back of our full bathroom towel closet that was plumbed for the W/D).  

Of course the leg that is out is the one that feeds 2 of our 3 ACs (the front ones), but at least we have a nice cold bedroom.

Power works perfect when on Gen so that helped narrow it down to the power cord.

Edited by stacyhall

2 hours ago, stacyhall said:

Our 2006 Camelot 42 DSQ is experiencing the same issue, with the help of @Scotty Hutto (thanks again Scotty) he helped Ted narrow down that it is one of the 2 things mentioned. @TedZimmer will be attempting the end of the plug replacement praying that is all it is, if not then off to option 2 while on a 5 week vacation in the NorthEast, a temp line bypassing the reel, which just had its gears rebuilt 2 months ago and a WD combo installed on top of what would have been easy access to the reel location (back of our full bathroom towel closet that was plumbed for the W/D).  

Of course the leg that is out is the one that feeds 2 of our 3 ACs (the front ones), but at least we have a nice cold bedroom.

Power works perfect when on Gen so that helped narrow it down to the power cord.

good…we have another electrical topic running.  i posted this last night….it details how and what to do to get an equivalent CAMCO new plug that will virtually be waterproof like the Original…

Order the plug from Amazon.  Also order a tube of Dow Corning 4 Insulating compound.  Cut off the end.  Attach the new plug.  Go over the screws about 3 times.  Use a large handle screwdriver and a rough (red) shop towel.  Wrap two wraps of the ckoth over the handle.  Then “rare down” on it.  Give it all you got.  Put the plug in a padded vise or clamped.  Then use your non dominant (usually left) hand to push down on the top of the handle and your right hand (rag around the handle) and lay into it.  An average Male with good grip strength will be able to generate the 40 inch pounds required.  Do it again. Then put on the cover.  Use it for a few weeks….then retorque.  Then FILL the cavity with the Dow Corning.  That is as close to a molded or waterproof plug  as you can get.  

On 9/5/2023 at 9:44 AM, Tom Cherry said:

good…we have another electrical topic running.  i posted this last night….it details how and what to do to get an equivalent CAMCO new plug that will virtually be waterproof like the Original…

Order the plug from Amazon.  Also order a tube of Dow Corning 4 Insulating compound.  Cut off the end.  Attach the new plug.  Go over the screws about 3 times.  Use a large handle screwdriver and a rough (red) shop towel.  Wrap two wraps of the ckoth over the handle.  Then “rare down” on it.  Give it all you got.  Put the plug in a padded vise or clamped.  Then use your non dominant (usually left) hand to push down on the top of the handle and your right hand (rag around the handle) and lay into it.  An average Male with good grip strength will be able to generate the 40 inch pounds required.  Do it again. Then put on the cover.  Use it for a few weeks….then retorque.  Then FILL the cavity with the Dow Corning.  That is as close to a molded or waterproof plug  as you can get.  

From my boating days with 50 amp service, we never filled the cavity with Dow Corning or anything else. The reasoning was that the wire warmed up and cooled down with varied use and the terminals would loosen up. We took the plug apart about once a year and tightened the connections. I do the same with my RV shore power cord, take it apart and tighten the terminals. I always find they can be tightened more. At this moment, I check both the ATS and the breaker panels. Yearly maintenance. If I purchase new cords, I cut the molded crimped connections and put on Camco plugs. I know the crimped connections loosen with use as well. Just my experience and thoughts.