Terrifing car flip

Guest Ray Davis

The pickup owner should at least be charged with Reckless Endangerment/public endangerment, sorry to say but he for sure had some signs of hub failure way before it split.  You can see the rotor inside the hub at the end, hubs just don't separate that easy!

My 2 cents!

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis
1 hour ago, Twomed said:

Smith method of truck driving...make you own bubble of space, adjust as necessary.  Nothing more valuable than the real estate in front of you.  

Amen,  trouble is when I get my space in front of me other drivers think I made that space for them.   I bet truck drivers really get frustrated with all of us 4-wheelers jumping in front.   I confess I do it too and I often feel guilty about it.  

The Kia didn't seem to be doing anything wrong, maybe speeding,  but the PU obviously had a mechanical problem.   I assume the PU was at fault.

The message is how instantly disaster can strike out of nowhere.   Wear your seat belt

5 hours ago, Twomed said:

Smith method of truck driving...make you own bubble of space, adjust as necessary.  Nothing more valuable than the real estate in front of you.  

Plenty of empty space in front of the Kia before the wheel they never had a chance to see rolled in front of them. At least 500' empty lane ahead of them and in less than 0.5s the tire went from the truck to the Kia. 

On 3/28/2023 at 11:55 PM, vito.a said:

And maybe not buy a Kia Soul.  But it probably could have happened to any small car.  

Even a Suburban or Expedition or a truck like the one the wheel fell off would have launched on a wheel like that. 

Something like the lowered 240SX I used to have with 4 inches of ground clearance and a bumper around 12" high might have been able to punt the tire instead of run up on it, but any reasonable car with normal-height bumper would run up on that tire just like the Kia. The problem is when the bumper hits high enough on the tire to grip and start rolling over it. 

Guest Ray Davis
10 hours ago, On_the_road said:

I saw a video of a car harassing the motorcycle in front of him in heavy traffic.   The car hit the motorcycle rear wheel, and it lifted the front of the car 4 feet in the air.   Trashed the motorcycle.   At least it was at low speed.

No good is likely to ever come out of harassing a motorcycle.   Even if you win you lose,  maybe everything.   Unless he is shooting at you how are you going to explain?

Motorcycles I give lots of space.