Howard Precision Steering

Paul J A

LakeTools.thumb.JPG.8010b7afc7e10489e4e80cae8cef5852.JPGI had a 1996 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Diesel with the Howard Steering System.  Twice in 20 years (and 90,000 miles) it blew out the seals.  Power steering fluid filled up the air vent bottle, overflowed, and made a nasty mess in the compartment where the system accumulator is mounted.  I took it off - two big nuts on each end, two small air tubes, two hydraulic fluid tubes, and one electric terminal plug.  It took less than an hour but required the help of a cheater pipe, hydraulic jack, big hammer, and cold chisel.  I boxed and shipped it (UPS,  about $40) to Lake Tools Hydraulic Repair in Sulfur, LA after talking to Jess Harper there.  It took about 5 weeks or so for them to rebuild it ($900 + shipping back in 2014).  I bolted it back on, hooked the air and fluid tubes back up, and reconnected the electric connector to the trim solenoid.  I did have to readjust the cylinder to get the trim to center correctly which took about half an hour.  I can attest that Lake Tools is up to the job.  Expensive, but isn't everything associated with a motor home?  You can call Lake Tools and talk to Jess Howard at 337-625-5737.  Just FYI:  I liked the system as it made driving less tiring.  But, my DW (who drove just as much) didn't and never used it.  Everything breaks eventually.  Good luck.

My 2003 Cheetah came with the Howard steering control. After researching in great lengh, how to get repairs on unit going away in 2006 I removed completely and had Safe-T-Plus unit installed. Very happy with safe-T-Plus!