Entry Door Air Noise

We have struggled with air noise around the entry door on our 2015 Dynasty for 6 years!  Recently, the awning over the door stopped working and we were ready to leave Arizona for the spring. We manually retracted the awning and put a couple of tie-wraps around it to hold it secure. Since then we have had NO air noise so apparently the solution was to adjust the awning to close more tightly. I may even add a gasket to the bottom edge of the awning cover to make it fit tighter!  Amazing!

Tom Gibbens

’15 Dynasty 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, thomasgibbens said:

We have struggled with air noise around the entry door on our 2015 Dynasty for 6 years!  Recently, the awning over the door stopped working and we were ready to leave Arizona for the spring. We manually retracted the awning and put a couple of tie-wraps around it to hold it secure. Since then we have had NO air noise so apparently the solution was to adjust the awning to close more tightly. I may even add a gasket to the bottom edge of the awning cover to make it fit tighter!  Amazing!

Tom Gibbens

’15 Dynasty 

Great info.  We have questions all the time.  Primarily about the air seal.  So I’m going out on a limb here.  Your air seal work and this was external.  I have had windshield gaskets or the frame (at a corner) leak and whistle.  I green pea size glob is sealer fixes it…

Thanks a bunch

To this day, the awning over my entry door whisltes when at speed. It took a directional microphone to find the noise. The fix was to cut a piece of foam and insert it into the awning frame. I took the foam from those tubes people float on in a pool.

I can tell when the foam gets aged out - the whistle comes back.

Guest Ray Davis

I don't know, this may be a completely different noise that I had.  I had an unbearable howl on the pass side at approx 60 mph.   Fortunately, I happened to see a strip of foam rubber fly out of the door awning leading arm, and that's when the noise began.  You literally could not tolerate the noise.  We stopped at a Home Depot and I bought some rubber, inserted it into the channel in the arm, and presto the noise was gone.

30 minutes ago, TLMonaco said:

I have this exact problem on my 2001 Diplomat. Where exactly did you put the foam?

Thanks

Tom

In the leading arm of the awning over the entry door. There's a void that runs the length of the arm on the side that is closest to the body of the coach - I fill as much of the void as I can.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 8:35 AM, Dr4Film said:

Doesn't your coach have an entry door Air Seal that inflates when underway?

I/m fairly certain our 2006 Dynasty has one of these. However, I don't believe ours is working & it appears the seal is torn. Are these seals available & where can one find troubleshooting guidance for the system? Thanks

1 hour ago, Newcsn said:

I/m fairly certain our 2006 Dynasty has one of these. However, I don't believe ours is working & it appears the seal is torn. Are these seals available & where can one find troubleshooting guidance for the system? Thanks

I had no idea if my seal was working or not. You can pull the hose that goes to the seal off of the barbed fitting on the electric switching valve. 

Just use a regulated air supply  below 5PSI to see if the seal is leaking. (If you are an old school mechanic like me your mouth will work). If it has a big rip you are probably done but some owners have repaired them with a tire tube repair kit I believe I have read in the past..  It will depend on the location on the hole and how bad it is. 

On 4/3/2023 at 7:51 PM, thomasgibbens said:

Tom Gibbens

’15 Dynasty 

You want to hear a little "snap" when the awning is closed, from the enclosure. That's the way the guys from Girard did mine , and never had a problem after they did that at a FMCA Rally.

Also, just and F Y I, Especially the roof mounted patio awnings. 

2 hours ago, Paul A. said:

You want to hear a little "snap" when the awning is closed, from the enclosure. That's the way the guys from Girard did mine , and never had a problem after they did that at a FMCA Rally.

Also, just and F Y I, Especially the roof mounted patio awnings. 

Thanks, I will listen for that.