Favorite fiberglass repair products

Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

I already had a couple scratches I inflicted on the rear end cap a couple years ago, and I just noticed a little crack around the air intake on the rear end cap. And then today someone merged into where I was on the highway and punched the front shield mounts through the fiberglass.  We're going to be heading to FL in the coach in a couple weeks, and we'll be there a couple months, so it won't be able to go to the body shop anytime soon.

For the thousand miles to Florida I might just remove the shield and tape over the holes. But I've done automotive body work before and while I'm going to see if I can get money for repairs from the insurance company, I might see if I can fill the holes myself to prevent further deterioration on the front cap. 

On another note, the decals on the side are fading as well, and the blue paint is coming off in a couple other places (rear wheel arch, aluminum oxidizing bubbling the paint on the slide edges, etc).  The white gel coat is kind of streaky or stained in places too. A previous quote for paint from a body shop was around $5 per side for only the blue skirt, and if only that part is repainted the oxidized decal and uneven colors on the gelcoat will look even worse.  I'd rather not spend $20K+ on a 1997 for full body repaint.  What kind of things can I do to make the coach look better that's more cost-effective? Can the decals be removed without destroying the gelcoat under them? Can the off-white gel-coat be restored in some way?

IMG_9914.jpeg

IMG_9913.jpeg

Gonna take some serious work.  It almost like it would be easier to remove the plastic shield an mounts and completely repair the front using matte & epoxy for the structure side if it and bondo or equivalent for the fill in and detail.  Not sure how the mounts are secured through the fiberglass but I'd consider adding reinforcement behind them. 

I worked a summer in a specialty truck build shop where they made all the fiberglass components.  To make the parts they had molds and would spray the outer coating first, then epoxy & used a gun to shoot the fiberglass (it cut it into short pieces while it sprayed it).  Then they use rollers to smooth everything out.  Some parts had structural components laid right into the fiberglass, say mounting blocks for hinges etc.   A bulk of my time was breaking down the job cycle and setting up the area for lean manufacturing.    Interesting work, I'd walk into the plant and say "I love the smell of epoxy in the morning"😁

That being said, in ~2010 I back my rig into a retaining wall at the house.  I knew a guy that did body work on RV's and just took it to him.  But I'd done some work on my rig over the last 10 years. 

Edited by jacwjames

3 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Gonna take some serious work.  It almost like it would be easier to remove the plastic shield an mounts and completely repair the front using matte & epoxy for the structure side if it and bondo or equivalent for the fill in and detail.  Not sure how the mounts are secured through the fiberglass but I'd consider adding reinforcement behind them.

I'll be removing the plastic shield whether or not I repair it myself. There isn't any reinforcement behind any of the mounts that I've seen.

I know for a repair I'd have to grind the cracked edges back, and clean up the back side enough to epoxy a backing mesh. I just don't know what products are better than others, or if there are different kinds of fiberglass that not all products will work with, stuff like that. 

2 hours ago, Ivan K said:

I have used the one below with success. It cures in short time and is green. I got it at Napa but should be pretty common. 

Nice work! Did you have the corner piece or did you have to shape the whole corner? Does the resin itself dry green, or just the can is green? 

If you are interested in understanding fiberglass, gelcoat or paint over fiberglass then I would suggest check out boatworkstoday.com. Andy Miller does an excellent job of prep work & application of gel coat or paint. I've followed his you tube channel guiding me as I've repaired my Windsor fiberglass and gelcoat.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimc99999 said:

Nice work! Did you have the corner piece or did you have to shape the whole corner? Does the resin itself dry green, or just the can is green? 

I collected multiple pieces from crash site to help me form it. Then sheets of mesh from both sides. It cures green, until you start shaping it. It is thick and does not run as typical clear resin would. Good for filling holes.

• Like 1