Sand prevention !!!

Les Hurdle

Hopefully this is the correct part of the discussion list[s].

I did mention once before I live up a sandy road [ 1 mile], by the time I get back to base, rear of the coach and especially rads [2004 Cheetah] are covered in sand.  I have to move along the road, up a reasonable incline to 5000' at about 5 mph.

How to stop sand entering via the slots in the doors at the back.?

Don't laugh....................  curtains?   Or something.

On the inside of the doors, drag them across the vents and then 'park' them when traveling?

Or just 'stick' something on the outside.

Would the engine overheat in a mile? We do have 100F temps in summer.   Possible I suppose.

Anyone else had/solved this problem......... one spirited member suggested I move..........  sure 🤣

I can go at least 5 miles at highway speed in 80+ weather before mine would start to overheat. I know because I had closed the valve that controls the fan by mistake once. If I were you I would try something on the outside first that you could take off easily if it doesn't work like cardboard taped on. I'm guessing the tires are kicking up a lot of the sand as well though.

Guest Ray Davis

22 hours ago, Rick A said:

How about some sort of spray system to dampen the road? Use the residual fresh water in the tank. 

This outta do the trick

CM20210824-d9802-2cd8d-390x260.jpeg

Thanks.  SadlyI live in a desert mountain community where most do not 'live' on their property so wont even follow Fire Dept codes never mind wet the roads ;-)). I think I'll try attaching something outside and see how that works.

Guest Ray Davis
On 5/5/2023 at 11:08 AM, Les Hurdle said:

How to stop sand entering via the slots in the doors at the back.?

Assuming that's a rear radiator the fan would be pushing air and sand from the engine side of the radiator thru to the outside and the slots in the back.

Are you trying to keep the radiator from collecting sand / dirt and overheating?   That's usually the case with rear radiators.   Assuming again that dirt collecting on the radiator is what you are trying to control along with a dirty coach lets examine the issues.   You may already know where I'm going but others may not so I'll explain.  Cummins engines of my era ( 03 ) and I believe yours as well have a crankcase breather tube aka a slobber tube because they emit a slight fine oily mist.   That mist is sucked up by the fan and blown all over the engine side of the radiator stack.  Then sand and dirt blown by the fan sticks to the oily surface, before long air flow is diminished resulting in overheating.   It's not an easy job to clean the engine side of the radiator but that's what most people do once or twice a year.  It needs to be soaked good from the fan side with a pump up garden sprayer with simple green or etc.  I would try to use one for aluminum or not leave it very long.  Reving the engine after soaking will help push the soap deeper into the fins.  Wait a few minutes ( 10 or so ) and flush with a strong spray from the back.  When I had a rear radiator coach I would repeat the process 2 or 3 times.

I believe if you are going 5 MPH up a steep incline it's the fan stirring up the sand.  There are electric clutches that you can turn the fan off.  Of coarse you will have to keep a close eye on your temp gauge, but turning the fan off might significantly cut down on the sand.  Here is a link to an elect clutch.

https://www.hortonww.com/on-highway/drives/ec450-ec600-drive.html

This  is going to be tough task. Just trying to keep the dust off my toad on dirt roads is also an exercise in futility. The air flow over the unit causes a vacuum to form in the engine compartments and that sucks the dust up! My guess is by trying to block off the underside you just increase the velocity in vacuum tunnel. Basic aerodynamics. 

• Like 1