Carefree Awning Uniguard Tear

In doing a roof renovation, I noticed this tear in the black fibered vinyl that connects my awning to the coach.  I am contemplating patching this with black Gorilla tape.  Does anyone know if this is a good idea?  If this seam continues it would be ugly seeing the torsion spring in the awning unwind.

Does anyone know if this is a good idea or have a better solution?

Thanks much,

Gary

20230612_090628.jpg

Gorilla Tape or possibly Flex Seal Tape will work temporarily but where that tare is it is probably time to look at replacing the awning. If you are in the Florida area Talin RV does a great job. They can also fabricate a replacement and send it to you if you are DIY inclined. That was my plan but then I had them do the install and was glad I did. For you temporary repair try to tape from the bottom and the top.

That part is called Carefree Awning Soft Connect.  Google that term to find the best price and availability.. Before doing such, measure the length of the existing one, as that will be need to order it.  The price is in the neighborhood of $150-200.

Once yours starts failing in one spot, it is going to fail along the whole length.  You do not want it to fail while driving, as the whole awning can lower!

It is straight forward to replace it. Remove the screws in the rail and slide it out of the two guide rails, one on the foot and the other rail on the metal awning cover.  One person can do it , but a lot easier with two.

I did mine myself after a buddy told me his was ripping. Our coaches were the same age so I replaced mine. It was dry rotted and i dodged that bullet. Once off I could easily rip the fabric. Then I help a friend do his. Two people makes replacing it a lot easier.

On edit: Talin make a good replacement for the Soft Connect.

Edited by Happycarz

Change it. Just had Talin RV make me a new one 3 weeks ago, due to mine had ripped like yours, and while on  vacation in Florida a gust of wind caught it and the whole awning with the unigard(the lone aluminum piece that covers the awning when rolled in) ripped loose. Mine is a 2008 diplomat.

The soft connect is what holds the awning, cover and awning arms up against the motorhome. With the soft connect gone or ripped loose the awning arms will flop down, per above what Happycarz said(you don't want it to fail while driving).

• Thanks 1