2001 Dynasty bedroom (electric) and living room (hydraulic) will not operate

Go to solution Solved by Larry H,

I have a 2001 Dynasty and neither of the slides (electric and hydraulic) will not extend. Both operated a few days ago. The coach is currently in for body repair and we are taking a trip the day after we get it back. I am confident it is associated with the safety cutoff that keeps the slides from operating when the engine is running or the bay doors under the slides and not closed or one of the switches is faulty.  I don't have access to my paper copy of the wiring diagrams and can't read the page for the bedroom slide on the .pdf version I downloaded. 

1. Is there a way to determine if the issue is with the ignition switch or one of the doors?

2. Is there a fuse associated with this safety function?

3. Please provide any specific advice that will help we with troubleshooting in the short time I have available when I get the coach back.

Both my slides are electric with one controller.  The controller is located in my passenger side rear electrical bay.  It does have a ign relay and it does have the safety control for the bay doors.   There is a 5 amp fuse on the control board that has failed several times and the slides won't move when that happens.  . 

Mines the same as Jim Js the relays are in the passenger side rear compartment, I go my relay from NAPA and bought a spare to go with it. Good luck. 

Just now, sg47619 said:

Mines the same as Jim Js the relays are in the passenger side rear compartment, I go my relay from NAPA and bought a spare to go with it. Good luck. 

You should also check the safety buttons on the doors to make sure the are making contact. 

4 hours ago, Larry H said:

I have a 2001 Dynasty and neither of the slides (electric and hydraulic) will not extend. Both operated a few days ago. The coach is currently in for body repair and we are taking a trip the day after we get it back. I am confident it is associated with the safety cutoff that keeps the slides from operating when the engine is running or the bay doors under the slides and not closed or one of the switches is faulty.  I don't have access to my paper copy of the wiring diagrams and can't read the page for the bedroom slide on the .pdf version I downloaded. 

1. Is there a way to determine if the issue is with the ignition switch or one of the doors?

2. Is there a fuse associated with this safety function?

3. Please provide any specific advice that will help we with troubleshooting in the short time I have available when I get the coach back.

I described how they work, generically, in another post today.  You must pull the print and follow the wiring.  The control voltage for the slides usually comes from the  rear.  Sometimes a stand alone fuse….other times on the control board.  If your hydraulic pump works the genny as well, it usually has its own up front fuse

I am pretty sure this drawing is like yours….except there are some variations where there is a 4 relay control board.  You must find you types of slide and then match with the right prints.  After i helped someone, i went back into the print file and there was maybe 4 variations….if there is a “combo” use of hydraulic and electric, then the electric has a 2 or 4 relay (2 relays per slide),  On some of those boards, there is. 5 A fuse for control power and the slide lockout relay.

Find the right print a d go from there.

2001%20-%203%20Front%20Hydraulic%20Slide%20wiring%20Diagram.pdf

thanks very much. Where did you post the second coverage of the same topic?

If there are 4 relays on my slides (2 for the front hydraulic slide and 2 for the back electric slides) can I assume there is no power to the relays (I.e. the ignition switch is not working properly or a bay door is not making contact? Can I check for power (signal from doors and ignition) to the relays? 

(I won’t be able to report on a solution but very much appreciate any and all advice.

57 minutes ago, Larry H said:

thanks very much. Where did you post the second coverage of the same topic?

If there are 4 relays on my slides (2 for the front hydraulic slide and 2 for the back electric slides) can I assume there is no power to the relays (I.e. the ignition switch is not working properly or a bay door is not making contact? Can I check for power (signal from doors and ignition) to the relays? 

(I won’t be able to report on a solution but very much appreciate any and all advice.

I will try to find the topic.  You need to go through your prints.  MEMORY says that you will have several.  You want the one with the  exact number, location and type for your MH.  I used a generic one in my example.  Take a picture of it and post…when i have time…I’m caring for a new knee lady…my DW….I’ll look.

If you find the correct print, then i can be more specific.  But to answer your questions….and we will need some feedback as it helps others…

OK….just read your post again,  here is what you PROBABLY have…

the control power for the switches may or does come from a fuse (check it) on the 5 relay board.  The top left relay is the ignition lockout.  Find that board and check the fuse.  NOW…I’m guessing you have a hydraulic genny slide.  Try it and report back.  IF it works, its control system gets power from the front.  BUT, that tells the pump is working.

the control board has 4 relays.  Two for each slide.  There is a switching sequence so that when you extend a slide…relay 1 (example) sends out negative.  Relay 2 sends out positive.  The motor turns clockwise.  When you retract the same slide, relay 1 sends positive and relay 2 sends negative….the motor turns counter clockwise and retracts.  Same deal for the other side.  You HAVE to have power to the center contact of all THREE switches….and that could (most likely) comes from the 5 amp fuse on the board.  

NOW, the hydraulic uses the SAME control power…but one side (push up) sends power to a hydraulic solenoid…the other side (push down) sends power to the OTHER solenoid….those solenoids control the direction of the flow.  There ARE 2 of them.

SO….no control power….no joy.  The ignition lockout solenoid (see the print) works like this.  If you turn ON the ignition, the relay is eneegized….and KILLS the circuit path.  All of this is on the print I posted.  The ONLY differences is that sometimes the power comes from a fuse on the electric slide control board and NOT a stand alone fuse…

more later….OK.  This a picture of the 5 relay board.  I really don’t know if you have this board or not.  That is why you need to go through your prints in the owners manual and post a copy of the “slide control” drawing that matches your MH.

Do that and look for this board and more help will come from me or others…
In the future, do your own searches. The search box is at the top right.  I put in SLIDE and then chose TOPICS from the dropdown tool bar rather than “everywhere”….

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Thanks to all for the great assistance. After getting the motorhome back from service I learned that a door not closed well was the cause with the front hydraulic slide not opening. (I would have not discovered this had it not been for your assistance.) The rear electric slide was still not working. I discovered that the ground wire to the rocker switch had come loose. I secured it to the center pole of the rocker switch and all is well.

Again, thanks for all the assistance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Larry H said:

Thanks to all for the great assistance. After getting the motorhome back from service I learned that a door not closed well was the cause with the front hydraulic slide not opening. (I would have not discovered this had it not been for your assistance.) The rear electric slide was still not working. I discovered that the ground wire to the rocker switch had come loose. I secured it to the center pole of the rocker switch and all is well.

Again, thanks for all the assistance.

In a word….GREAT.