Rear Slides don't work for a time after travel

Go to solution Solved by JohnC3,

Hello Everyone,

I searched for this issue, but didn't find anything that seemed to fit.

When I travel, my 2 rear slides in my Monaco won't go out. Front (Hydraulic) seem to work ok, but the cable (curbside) and  bed slide don't  even try to move.

After a while is works as normal, once one works, the other works as well. The "While" time is increasing it started at 5 or so minutes and today was maybe 30-40.

I suspect the slide room control module (and the 20A Auto-reset circuit breaker) that is located under my combo washer cabinet. 

I am hoping to find someone who had similar problems.  Maybe get a source for the Circuit breaker or another theory all-together (I Really don't want to manhandle the washer out just to find the breaker isn't the problem.  It's no fun to move in and out of the cabinet. All thoughts are welcome. I am in AK for the next 2 months so trying to head off this problem before it dies completely.

Thanks,

John Crowder

My slides began acting up on my 05 Safari Gazelle when returning from my last trip.  I have quad slides with Power Gear electric drive motors.  My large living room slide is the only one that works  when I push the out button, but it will not come in, all other slides seem dead.  I did connect my rear slide opposite the bed directly to the battery so we could unload the coach from our trip.

My controller is obsolete but it doesn’t show any signs of damage.  It is an analog device with six mechanical relays that route the circuits to each slide out.  I isolated the ignition lockout relay yesterday with no change in operation.  

Today I plan to begin tracing each circuit through the coach until I find the component that is common to all the slides. 

I will follow up on this post if I find the resolution.

I believe I resolved my slide issues.  I removed all the relays checked them with a meter, they all checked the same.  I removed and reseated the connectors on the slide out control board.  Everything seems to operate normally.  hopefully you issue is as easy to resolve as mine.  I will keep you posted if I have any other issues.

John,

For 10 years my rear slides behave the same way, almost.  Mine are for a few second to a minute.  Sometimes one, sometimes the other, sometimes both, no rhyme or reason. But it always starts working again. It hasn’t let me down yet. Knock on wood!

Every time I go to test where the power is, and isn’t, the slide start working. My controller was under the false floor in the left rear closet in the bedroom.  With the controller having enough attached wires, I moved it to the mirrored closet.

I made a test box with four different colored lights and test leads to attach to different point on the slide circuit to see where the power is gettin interrupted. I made it to look for an intermittent that Bill Willard was having.  I just need to take time, go visit with him, and retrieve my test box.

With the controller now in the mirrored closet, it will be easy to connect the test box and observe. That’s my plan, anyway.

I’ll keep you in mind as I work on it.

IMG_2355.jpeg

IMG_4879.jpeg

IMG_3772.jpeg

IMG_1156.jpeg

IMG_1158.jpeg

1 hour ago, mmccwill said:

It`s gonna cost you to get your test box back -- 

Make sure you remind Harry that Friday afternoon is wine time on the porch for you and your wife Bill. My problem is the curbside bedroom slide doesn't want to come in. It will start for about an inch then becomes a two person job, one on the switch and I get my fingers behind the lip of the slide and pull. Once over the initial hump it comes in Ok. I have to access the motor from the wheel well and when checking the power at the connector it was 13.5 volts when in switch pressed. I am wondering if the motor is getting weak and needs replacement. Would you or Harry have any thoughts on this issue?

Guest Ray Davis
22 minutes ago, diplomat don said:

13.5 volts when in switch pressed. I am wondering if the motor is getting weak and needs replacement. Would you or Harry have any thoughts on this issue?

I'm not Harry or Bill but shouldn't that voltage ( 13.5 ) drop lower than that when the slide is trying?  I would think it would.  Yeah, maybe the motor or ground.

A good test is to put dc amp clamp on the wire.  It possibly is the motor, but something binding would be more likely. If you don’t have a dc clamp meter, check below in my post. 

It sounds like a chore but really isn’t too bad to take the bed box off and run the slide to see how it acts.

Take the mattress off and stand it up on other side of bedroom, remove the prop struts, take the gray Ozite panel off the bed box, remove the 15, or so, screws at the headboard, and flip the bed box on end next to mattress. Now try the slide. Look for carpet that may be in the way. On some model coaches, the carpet get caught up in the slide under the night stands.

Let us know how you do.

Put this into Amazon search box:   multimeter with dc clamp

Or:

https://www.amazon.com/Intendvision-Multimeter-Auto-ranging-Capacitance-Temperature/dp/B0B6ST4N28/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3OMS7DWP7P4HC&keywords=Intendvision+AC%2FDC+Digital+Clamp+Meter+T-RMS+6000+Counts%2C+Multimeter+Voltage+Tester+Auto-ranging%2C+NCV+AC+DC+Current+Voltage+Resistance+Capacitance+Frequency+Diode+Temperature+Measure+Tester&qid=1688243660&sprefix=intendvision+ac%2Fdc+digital+clamp+meter+t-rms+6000+counts%2C+multimeter+voltage+tester+auto-ranging%2C+ncv+ac+dc+current+voltage+resistance+capacitance+frequency+diode+temperature+measure+tester%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-2

On 7/1/2023 at 7:42 AM, Ray Davis said:

I'm not Harry or Bill but shouldn't that voltage ( 13.5 ) drop lower than that when the slide is trying?  I would think it would.  Yeah, maybe the motor or ground.

That reading was taken while motor was unplugged to make sure the switch was triggering a relay to send full voltage to the motor. I will attempt to check voltage when motor activated.

• Solution

Thanks for all the help. My issue turned out to be the resettable circuit breaker on the slide controller board. (Looks like a slightly larger metallic 12V fuse) It seemed to be tripping  due to engine heat after a trip. I replaced with a spare from NAPA and used some reflectix to line the bottom and sides of the compartment and the slides  work normally again after a trip.

Thanks again.

John

Good morning Monacoers,

I'm new to this. I've had my Safari Cheetah 38PDQ for 3 months. I have 4 electric power glide slides. The front two and the drivers side read go in and out when I use the switches at control panel. My rear passenger slide works both manually and when I apply 12volts. On the in out switches there are 3 positions middle supplies 12 volts and the other two pins are for in and out. My issue is on my rear passenger switch there seams to be a short. With a continuity meter both wires show short to ground. I have found the relay board and all relays but one tested good. I put a new one in. Same thing short on two wires. I have the 12volts on center pin but when I operate in or out even with motor unplugged it still blows the fuse on the relay board. 

Can any one tell me if there is another board besides the ones in the pictures. I'm trying  to run 2 new wires for the switch but I cannot figure out where these two wires go to. 

Does the relay board in the pictures control all 4 slides or just the three that are working? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

20230614_100217.jpg

20230614_102547.jpg

20230614_100233.jpg

20230613_162641.jpg

20230613_162501.jpg

20230612_134142.jpg