Title questions

So my best friend is getting interested in buying a used coach, my question is, how does a person know if the title is truly a clear title without any liens on it? I understand that it should show on the title itself but how do you really know if it is truly clear? And how do you know if the documents that you are presented with are truly official documents?

Is it best to go to the DMV with the seller and have the DMV look it up?

Thank you!

Many ways.  But MOST DMV’S will not give info to third parties.  You can call the state DMV.  ASK THEM.  Then patch in (adda call) the owner.  Then listen to them.

Personally, Get a contract with a NOTARY signature, both you and seller, with a REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT CLAUSE….Which is triggered by Seller failing to deliver a fully, lien free title.  Never pay for a vehicle without a title in hand.  Many State DMV’S WILL NOT REGISTER.  it depends on your state DMV & the transferring.  If he can’t produce the title and you go to the State DMV to get the Title “certified” for transfer to you or your state (not the same)….do your best 100 yard sprint away from the seller.

I had notarized paperwork from the CW dealer in Florida for the New Camelot.  NC took it and easily issued me a clear title…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Ray Davis
15 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Never pay for a vehicle without a title in hand.

My thoughts exactly,  but in this day of fakery how can one know it's a genuine title you are examining in your own hands?

Financing might be a good idea in some cases.    A bank is accustomed to loaning money on things with titles and how to protect the bank, thereby protecting you as well.