No a/c power to front air conditioner

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

Ok, now that we know this is Bill Groves's Dynasty, and that he added EMS to it, I think I may be able to help with some troubleshooting.  I looked up the 2006 Diplomat wiring diagram for reference.  Knowing Bill, he likely did that too.  There would be no reason for him to totally design an EMS when one already exists.  Given this, there are four circuits that can be controlled by the EMS, the Front A/C, the Rear A/C, the Water Heater (120 Volt side) and the Washer/Dryer.  Note that Diplomats of that year didn't come with a third A/C (that I am aware of - it's not documented).  But, I believe that Bill's coach does have a 3rd A/C - can you confirm this Kerry?  In my somewhat limited experience with EMS coaches, I believe that some did have a 3rd A/C, and that was also connected to the EMS board.  I think when that occurred, the Front A/C was not connected.  But, it is also likely that Bill used the Electric Water Heater terminals for one of the A/Cs, since he doesn't have an electric water heater.  He does have an Aquahot, but I'm quite sure he would not have run that through the EMS.  So, what you likely have (assuming only four circuits) is Rear A/C, Center A/C, Washer/Dryer, Front A/C.  

My approach to troubleshooting this would be to turn off all the breakers in the main power panel, except for the Inverter.  Then confirm that on the terminals for BRKR #1, BRKR #2, BRKR #3 and BRKR #4 to Neutral show no power.  Then, one at a time, turn on the Front A/C and note which BRKR # has power.  Then turn it off and turn on the Washer/Dryer and note the BRKR #, and so forth with the Center A/C and Rear A/C.  This should yield the four Breakers (circuits) that are controlled by the EMS.  If you have power to one the the BRKR terminals on the EMS when you turn on the Front A/C, you know you have power from the main panel to the EMS board.  Next, turn on the thermostat for the Front A/C to A/C and set the temp low.  If the EMS is working it should pass power from BRKR #( ) terminal to RELAY $ ( ) terminal.  If this is true, you can now say, that with no other circuits competing for power, that the Front A/C is being powered up by the EMS.  If the Front A/C still does not work, then you know it is a wiring problem from the output of the EMS and the Front A/C, eliminating the EMS as a point of failure.  If all this works, then start adding one circuit (Breaker) at a time and confirm that the Front A/C is still working.  If it quits, then it is due to the EMS shutting it down, and that is a different subject to explore.

Hope this is helpful, if I'm not clear, let me know.

-Rick N.

Opps, I was composing my post above when you posted that you have fixed the problem.  Please let us know what you found so we all may learn.

-Rick N.

5 minutes ago, waterskier_1 said:

Ok, now that we know this is Bill Groves's Dynasty, and that he added EMS to it, I think I may be able to help with some troubleshooting.  I looked up the 2006 Diplomat wiring diagram for reference.  Knowing Bill, he likely did that too.  There would be no reason for him to totally design an EMS when one already exists.  Given this, there are four circuits that can be controlled by the EMS, the Front A/C, the Rear A/C, the Water Heater (120 Volt side) and the Washer/Dryer.  Note that Diplomats of that year didn't come with a third A/C (that I am aware of - it's not documented).  But, I believe that Bill's coach does have a 3rd A/C - can you confirm this Kerry?  In my somewhat limited experience with EMS coaches, I believe that some did have a 3rd A/C, and that was also connected to the EMS board.  I think when that occurred, the Front A/C was not connected.  But, it is also likely that Bill used the Electric Water Heater terminals for one of the A/Cs, since he doesn't have an electric water heater.  He does have an Aquahot, but I'm quite sure he would not have run that through the EMS.  So, what you likely have (assuming only four circuits) is Rear A/C, Center A/C, Washer/Dryer, Front A/C.  

My approach to troubleshooting this would be to turn off all the breakers in the main power panel, except for the Inverter.  Then confirm that on the terminals for BRKR #1, BRKR #2, BRKR #3 and BRKR #4 to Neutral show no power.  Then, one at a time, turn on the Front A/C and note which BRKR # has power.  Then turn it off and turn on the Washer/Dryer and note the BRKR #, and so forth with the Center A/C and Rear A/C.  This should yield the four Breakers (circuits) that are controlled by the EMS.  If you have power to one the the BRKR terminals on the EMS when you turn on the Front A/C, you know you have power from the main panel to the EMS board.  Next, turn on the thermostat for the Front A/C to A/C and set the temp low.  If the EMS is working it should pass power from BRKR #( ) terminal to RELAY $ ( ) terminal.  If this is true, you can now say, that with no other circuits competing for power, that the Front A/C is being powered up by the EMS.  If the Front A/C still does not work, then you know it is a wiring problem from the output of the EMS and the Front A/C, eliminating the EMS as a point of failure.  If all this works, then start adding one circuit (Breaker) at a time and confirm that the Front A/C is still working.  If it quits, then it is due to the EMS shutting it down, and that is a different subject to explore.

Hope this is helpful, if I'm not clear, let me know.

-Rick N.

Opps, I was composing my post above when you posted that you have fixed the problem.  Please let us know what you found so we all may learn.

-Rick N.

I would add one more piece on information.  Bill did make changes to the main panel to better balance the loads on line 1and line 2.  He likely noted the modifications on the panel.  So don't be surprised if the panel doesn't match the schematics.