Rear Radiator Cleaning - A Cautionary Tale!

9 hours ago, Paul J A said:

Scotty; Curious if you have ever done what i suggested in my post on this subject on July 19th???

If you have, what condition did you view??  

I have not. By the time I saw your post they had already pulled my old radiator. My old radiator was almost completely plugged  

It’s a great tip that will help everyone. Thanks,

Scotty

I live 1 mile up a dirt road.  When I bought my Cheetah first thing I did was to wash the rad.  Owner had washed the outside. Using Citrus cleaner inside [from access pints in wardrobe etc] made it clear rad was clogged.  I also added household a/c filters inside my rear doors for when I drive along the dirt road to prevent some of the dirt getting into the rad.......... take them out prior to driving more.  When I get to my destination [which sadly has been few] I get the air blower out, blow the rads off and then open access pints and blow off engine.

Just a short additional update… came over the Big Horn mountains in Wyoming heading from Buffalo, WY to Cody, WY. Went from about 4,700’ elevation up to 9,645’ at the pass…. Temps never got over 203°F, and then only for a few seconds.  Stayed in the 188-194°F range most of the time. 

Right at 2,200 miles so far on the trip.

Very pleased with the performance of the new RSH brass/copper radiator so far. In 100°F temps in Nebraska, engine temp stayed right around 183°F; transmission stayed about 5-10°F cooler. 

• Like 1

I’ve always been a clean radiator guy as well.

I keep the bottom corners vacuumed so the road debris can’t accumulate. I use the purple stuff AutoZone or simple green with a sprayer – let it soak, spray a few times let it soak in between. Then garden hose with light spray to rinse – don’t want to bend any fins. I am careful to keep any suds off the paint because those degreasers will make it dull.

I do this about every 7,000-10,000 miles or when it looks dirty. Not much rain in CA and I think it’s rain that what causes more build up.

The biggest improvement in keeping the radiator clear was when I extended the crank case vent hose out to the rear past the radiator and into a catch can.