Dealer Wins Law Suit

Yikes........ That was an expensive dealer bashing event.

I always figured that dealers were going to start fighting back. Thankfully over the last 14 years we have had only 2 customers come at us on the internet. While I never considered suing them I was able to mediate a solution and make them a satisfied customer. We can always count on a couple customers every year that put us through the ringer. They are the type of people who would bitch if you served them cold ice cream. For anyone who has ever owned or managed a business you have more then likely run into " problem customers ".

There are many large dealers who will walk away from a problem customer and let them have their bashing party on social media. They are selling so many RV's one headache wont matter so they turn their backs to the bashing and keep moving. With smaller companies you have to defend your reputation and go after some of the problem customers.  You work tirelessly to build a good reputation and bend over backwards to serve your customers. But when a customer comes through who is completely abrasive, unable to accept responsibility for their own mistakes during the order process ( wrong measurements, wrong color, etc. )  then goes on social media and rips you apart, you have to grab the bull by the horns and defend yourself.

I fired 2 customers last year for using abusive language with my female director. The language they used would make a preacher blush and the screaming and yelling at the other end of the phone is something I will not tolerate. I surely will not tolerate cursing and swearing at one of my employees, especially if my employee is a female. While we love to provide exceptional service to everyone I will NOT stand for my staff being abused.

I am guessing in this case this couple really let things spin out of control and went overboard.  Either way, $ 192,000 has to hurt a private persons wallet and was an expensive lesson - watch how you bash a company on social media.  Here is the story:

https://rv-pro.com/news/bretz-rv-wins-lawsuit-defamation?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200616 RVP ENEWS (1)&utm_content=&spMailingID=23405300&spUserID=NjE3MjYxMTUxOTYzS0&spJobID=1760877170&spReportId=MTc2MDg3NzE3MAS2

• Like 2

Chris,

I would first like to congratulate your company in a successful lawsuit. I run a small business and can not afford a negative smear campaign via social media, and worse yet false accusations. I have “made things right” over the years, learning to “pick your battles” carefully of course, but some folks are down right vicious if they don’t get their way- no mater no wrong they are.  

I have a few atty friends that have represented us pro bono with firing off lawyer letters, to fend off attempts of “if I don’t get my way, I will ruin your business,”  that seems to die down when they realize I am willing to do what is needed to keep a good name and not cave in to threatening us. We are a veteran owned company where integrity matters and we would NEVER “screw” over a customer. It just drives me crazy!

Okay, I am off of my soapbox now. Thanks for letting me add my $.02 worth. You have made my night sir!

Take care,

Nic 

9 hours ago, throgmartin said:

Yikes........ That was an expensive dealer bashing event.

I always figured that dealers were going to start fighting back. Thankfully over the last 14 years we have had only 2 customers come at us on the internet. While I never considered suing them I was able to mediate a solution and make them a satisfied customer. We can always count on a couple customers every year that put us through the ringer. They are the type of people who would bitch if you served them cold ice cream. For anyone who has ever owned or managed a business you have more then likely run into " problem customers ".

There are many large dealers who will walk away from a problem customer and let them have their bashing party on social media. They are selling so many RV's one headache wont matter so they turn their backs to the bashing and keep moving. With smaller companies you have to defend your reputation and go after some of the problem customers.  You work tirelessly to build a good reputation and bend over backwards to serve your customers. But when a customer comes through who is completely abrasive, unable to accept responsibility for their own mistakes during the order process ( wrong measurements, wrong color, etc. )  then goes on social media and rips you apart, you have to grab the bull by the horns and defend yourself.

I fired 2 customers last year for using abusive language with my female director. The language they used would make a preacher blush and the screaming and yelling at the other end of the phone is something I will not tolerate. I surely will not tolerate cursing and swearing at one of my employees, especially if my employee is a female. While we love to provide exceptional service to everyone I will NOT stand for my staff being abused.

I am guessing in this case this couple really let things spin out of control and went overboard.  Either way, $ 192,000 has to hurt a private persons wallet and was an expensive lesson - watch how you bash a company on social media.  Here is the story:

https://rv-pro.com/news/bretz-rv-wins-lawsuit-defamation?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200616 RVP ENEWS (1)&utm_content=&spMailingID=23405300&spUserID=NjE3MjYxMTUxOTYzS0&spJobID=1760877170&spReportId=MTc2MDg3NzE3MAS2

Good to see this.

I always take online reviews with a huge BLOCK of salt.

Too many people will exaggerate their claims when they have a complaint, but far too few will actually post a positive review when a business does them right, or when a problem is solved promptly.

I always try to remember to leave an accurate review either way.  Businesses deserve recognition when they do a good job too.

Guest Ray Davis

Yea for Bretz   🤑

Having been in business yrs ago you realize  some people  take advantage of everyone including businesses .

Sometime you just get fed up and fight back .  🤼‍♂️

Most of my career was before internet and social forums so it wasn't so easy for people to spread their anger world wide .  

I wonder what happened to the boat. Think part of the settlement included the boat? Did the Gibsons get it anyway? I can't imagine they'd enjoy it considering the stigma now attached to it, but you never know with some people.....Dennis

The RV service/repair industry created their own reputation. Many bad guys out there causing a issue needing to e redone numerous times. No excuse for demeaning "a" individual company. Using social media today to expose these poor providers of quality service at a proper profit cost and quality point is essential for all of us.

Paul, I agree whole heartedly but there must be limitations. Social media is an awesome way of telling the world about service received, both good and bad. Unfortunately it's a fine line one steps over from simply reporting the facts and embellishing what happened by inserting one's own personality, entitlement and opinions into the conversation. Furthermore, others jump on the bandwagon and insert their own opinions into the conversations and on it goes until the truth is buried and a whole new story gets told. I use rvservicereviews.com for recommendations but also view them with a grain of salt. If I use campgroundreviews I do the same. Once that fine line is breached and/or the post is vindictive from the get go, then it serves as nothing more that damaging  to the provider. I'm sure that's what happened in this instance and the purchaser paid the price. ....Dennis

Guest Cruzbill

May I be a contrarian, if only to voice another viewpoint. The article doesn't say if the buyers asked that their sales contract be cancelled, only that they had 'buyers remorse'. Would the outcome had been different if the seller would have simply offered to cancel the contract? Sometimes the simplest solution is the best, for everyone. Such a move by the seller would guarantee his reputation was preserved, as the buyer would have no issue. Not so good for the lawyers, perhaps. 

52 minutes ago, Cruzbill said:

May I be a contrarian, if only to voice another viewpoint. The article doesn't say if the buyers asked that their sales contract be cancelled, only that they had 'buyers remorse'. Would the outcome had been different if the seller would have simply offered to cancel the contract? Sometimes the simplest solution is the best, for everyone. Such a move by the seller would guarantee his reputation was preserved, as the buyer would have no issue. Not so good for the lawyers, perhaps. 

What's the point of a contract if it's not binding?

When you sign a contract you commit to do what it says, period.   The dealer had incurredexpenses and was 100% right in enforcing the contract.

Unfortunately, we never get the ENTIRE picture....only snippets from a news outlet giving us their interpretation of what went down. I'm holding out for complete details. The fact the court ruled in favor of the plaintiff indicates, to me anyway, the defendants went overboard on their social bashing, which is very easy to do, especially in today's climate....we are not as tough as we used to be.....Dennis

• Like 1

It is a shame when some people bash businesses because it takes away from the customers with legitimate claims against shady dealers and businesses. I had one with Blue Dog RV in Fife, Washington. I didn’t go on-line to bash but wish I would have hired a lawyer.  Businesses should have to list legitimate lawsuits they have lost on their sites!  It would go a long was to expose their true character. 

I figure 5 to 7% of the customers out there are $&@#% and would complain about anything because of ignorance or pure spite. I give on-line reviews that much which is generous.  More than that, I read all of the reviews.  Some people, customers and businesses alike, should be put down!