Flasher and Turn Signal Relay & LED Conversion Replacement

On my 2002 Windsor was having the same problem.  Emergency flashers quit working. 

One day while I was working on the rig I decided to try to turn them on and they worked.  I could hear the relay clicking so took the time to hunt it down.  It was buried in mass of wires behind the dash.  Kept feeling around and found it.  It was attached to wires but just laying in the mass of wires.  Pulled it forward and removed the flasher relay, went to Autozone and got one that would fit the harness and it worked. That was in 2012-3.

FWIW, the turn signal flasher was right next too it, connected to wires just laying in the mess of wires>>>> so if your turn signal works try to find that relay and the emergency flashers relay may be near it.

Edited by jacwjames

Here is a photo of our front run bay which is located under the drivers window.  I have replaced mine with a LED flasher so I could go to LED light bulbs.  If i remember correctly the original is in this same location.  The 2nd photo shows what the original flasher would look like.

image.thumb.jpeg.0e18d48ca5a4ab39d6a106629f17ca8a.jpeg

IMG_1014.thumb.jpg.a07a9681231f40fcc9ba9312bf569fd9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Flasher and Turn Signal Relay & LED Conversion Replacement

I ran across mine in the front run bay, drivers side, in front of the front wheel.

On a related note, where the old style turn signal flashers simply contained a small heater and a bimetal strip and didn't care which way they were hooked up, the new style "LED compatible" flashers are polarity sensitive, +/- terminals have to be observed and abided or they won't work correctly, if at all. 

On 7/25/2023 at 11:01 PM, Mike Wahl said:

Here is a photo of our front run bay which is located under the drivers window.  I have replaced mine with a LED flasher so I could go to LED light bulbs.  If i remember correctly the original is in this same location.  The 2nd photo shows what the original flasher would look like.

image.thumb.jpeg.0e18d48ca5a4ab39d6a106629f17ca8a.jpeg

IMG_1014.thumb.jpg.a07a9681231f40fcc9ba9312bf569fd9.jpg

I blew a brake/tail lamp bulb so I decided to replace both sides with LED bulbs I ordered from Amazon. I was by myself at the storage facility so I turned on the headlights. They worked. Two days later my son was following me in the rain and said I had neither bake nor tail lights. I checked the fuse in the front roadside bay and it wasn’t blown. Do I need to replace a relay? There is a separate set of turn signals that I didn’t replace with LEDs. They work as usual. 

Tom, LED lamps are polarity sensitive. Try turning them 180 degrees and reinstalling in the sockets. Then check that they work. If this does not work then you have a bigger issue. One might be that the LEDs might need an inline resistor as the relay needs the appropriate resistance. 
You should do this every time when you hook up the toad or trailer. Just good practice. 

Edited by Martinvz

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 7:04 PM, Martinvz said:

Tom, LED lamps are polarity sensitive. Try turning them 180 degrees and reinstalling in the sockets. Then check that they work. If this does not work then you have a bigger issue. One might be that the LEDs might need an inline resistor as the relay needs the appropriate resistance. 
You should do this every time when you hook up the toad or trailer. Just good practice. 

Thanks Martin, I'll turn them around in the sockets next time I'm at the RV.  It is in storage until our next trip scheduled in October.