Midland-Grau ABS wheel-sensor location?

Go to solution Solved by Ivan K,

My ABS light has started to stay lit recently. Prior to this I had greased the chassis, including the brakes and subsequently completed a long trip successfully.

When I turn the vehicle on, I can hear the ABS modules for each wheel activate successfully, but the light doesn't go out after I reach 5 MPH as it should. According to the manual this usually means a wheel sensor is dirty.  I've looked around the brakes but can't identify where this sensor might be, so I could clean it, etc.

Does anyone know what I'm looking for?  This is on a '97 Dynasty.

Try resetting the chassis power to clear the internal code by disconnecting the battery. If it comes back then maybe an issue that needs professional attention.

According to the manual, and my own past experience, if the light stays on it usually will go off correctly again after turning the coach off and then back on again. This is a first-gen ABS system on a mechanical C8.3 engine, I don't think it has any internal codes or state that survives beyond the ON/OFF key switch.  However, I have not disconnected the chassis battery since this started so it is certainly a worthwhile suggestion.

Just wondering if anyone has had to clean their ABS wheel sensors, and if so, where they might be/what they look like?

• Solution

Not sure if your ABS system is much different but the sensors usually slide on top of the axle end to be in close proximity to tone ring pressed into the hub. You should see a wire coming out into that location. I can't just clean mine without removing the hub but can carefully pry it closer to the ring from behind the wheel and that works the same.

IMG_20200109_200959095.jpg

2020-01-09_14-55-24_035.jpeg

I have an ABS diagnostic module in my front drivers side compartment.

I did have a code for the front drivers side wheel sensor, something about the gap.  On my coach the front sensors are visible, just follow the wire to the hub.  I simply pulled the sensor and cleaned it off, pushed all the way back in until it hit.  Then drove the coach and the fault light went away. 

The rear sensor is not accessible without removing the rear hub.