Newbie looking to buy DP for cross country travel

We owned a 31' Class C, terrible ride, hot because of the dog house, and really noisy.  So I got spoiled when we got the Windsor, very little noise, can actually hold a conversation with someone. 

Getting stuck in traffic in any vehicle is bad but push comes to shove I'd rather be in my Windsor with very good visibility of what's coming up and comfortable.  Just put on some nice music and enjoy!!

Speaking of Visibility.   When I was driving back through Illinois south a couple weeks ago the traffic was pretty light but I was in the mix of some cars and trucks.  We were coming around a long sweeping curve and way up ahead I got a fast glimpse of red/blue flashing lights and we quickly approached I saw they had the entire right lane blocked, with a wrecker trying to flip a truck/trailer back over.  I flipped on my flashers.  I was in the left lane so no problem, but I saw the trucker next to me trying to do a quick slowdown without much success.  So I quickly flipped on the exhaust brake and stomped down on my brake pedal slowing down much faster then the trucker, he quickly slide right in front of me with not much room to spare.  There were two squad cars and a wrecker in the right lane.  Would not have been pretty if I hadn't had the visibility and saw was in front.  When we got past the wreck the truck slide back into the left lane gave me "thank you" wave as I passed.  Saved his bacon for sure and probably mine also. 

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

I guess I got lucky, my coach rides and drives great.  Just done with a 2000 mile round trip, drove 750 miles in a day twice, wasn't fatigued at all.  I can drive with one hand on the wheel most of the time 2-3 fingers, both arm rests down, very comfortable.  Stopped 2 nights, once at a Cracker Barrel and the other at a Cabela's, easy on easy off, no hotel check in, no restless night of sleep in a strange bed (dreaming of bedbugs), pot of coffee in the AM, read some news, checked the weather, contemplated fuel stops after check prices on gasbuddy, then hit the road.  Quite a nice way to travel. 

We use to travel in a Suburban, it was comfortable but not nearly as nice as my Windsor.  

Downside of traveling in my motorhome is the fuel price/cost.  I get 7.5 mpg, sometimes more sometimes less.  I pull a 2005 Jeep to use when I get somewhere I want to explore and also in case of emergency.

The other side of the issue is the cost of ownership.  I own my Windsor, no lean or payment, BUT it still costs a lot to operate.  Fortunately I do most of my own maintenance, if not it would be another story, may not be able to afford it.  Annual maintenance of oil changes, lube, 3 year life for air dryer and air filter, transmission service, misc annual stuff costs money.  7 year tire change at $4-5K  It all adds up. 

Then there is the potential for a catastrophic issue.  There have been recent posts of transmission changes in excess of $19K.  Engine injector pump $5K,  Engine $25-45K, tire blow out taking out systems, lots of other stuff can and have happen.  Recommendations are to have a reserve for these types of instances, which depend on individual tolerance for risk.   Personally I have enough in reserve to handle pretty much any issue as far as repairing the coach.  

So bottom line is you've got to decide if you want to own a DP and pay for it.   For me it's worth the risk/cost/convenience but at some point it isn't I'll just walk away and have fond memories of my travels.  

Heck, even thinking about doing some cruises, >>> wonder if they'd let me drive?😁

Jim J

I agree with you, Jim.  Sometimes traveling is less than wonderful, but it doesn't last too long if it is bad, and then maybe I park for a week or two and driving isn't an issue.  Costs aren't low but life is short and many experiences are wonderful.  And it's really fun to read about some place and say, yes, that's cool - been there, done that.  I started taking river cruises and foreign tours a few years ago and they have been GREAT.  Even drove a rental car 1200 miles in Europe.  Sorry I waited so long.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

I guess I got lucky, my coach rides and drives great.  Just done with a 2000 mile round trip, drove 750 miles in a day twice, wasn't fatigued at all.  I can drive with one hand on the wheel most of the time 2-3 fingers, both arm rests down, very comfortable.  Stopped 2 nights, once at a Cracker Barrel and the other at a Cabela's, easy on easy off, no hotel check in, no restless night of sleep in a strange bed (dreaming of bedbugs), pot of coffee in the AM, read some news, checked the weather, contemplated fuel stops after check prices on gasbuddy, then hit the road.  Quite a nice way to travel. 

We use to travel in a Suburban, it was comfortable but not nearly as nice as my Windsor.  

Downside of traveling in my motorhome is the fuel price/cost.  I get 7.5 mpg, sometimes more sometimes less.  I pull a 2005 Jeep to use when I get somewhere I want to explore and also in case of emergency.

The other side of the issue is the cost of ownership.  I own my Windsor, no lean or payment, BUT it still costs a lot to operate.  Fortunately I do most of my own maintenance, if not it would be another story, may not be able to afford it.  Annual maintenance of oil changes, lube, 3 year life for air dryer and air filter, transmission service, misc annual stuff costs money.  7 year tire change at $4-5K  It all adds up. 

Then there is the potential for a catastrophic issue.  There have been recent posts of transmission changes in excess of $19K.  Engine injector pump $5K,  Engine $25-45K, tire blow out taking out systems, lots of other stuff can and have happen.  Recommendations are to have a reserve for these types of instances, which depend on individual tolerance for risk.   Personally I have enough in reserve to handle pretty much any issue as far as repairing the coach.  

So bottom line is you've got to decide if you want to own a DP and pay for it.   For me it's worth the risk/cost/convenience but at some point it isn't I'll just walk away and have fond memories of my travels.  

Heck, even thinking about doing some cruises, >>> wonder if they'd let me drive?😁

Jim J

Hey Jim, thanks for that, very interesting. One of the motivating factors for me to get a DP is that I love the machine aspect and enjoy doing whatever work is required. Have always done my own servicing and repair, originally by necessity and now because I like to and figure I can usually do a better job than if I hired it out because I"m in no hurry and don't want to cut corners. I'm retired and have the time and the money to do these things, I've even got a 2 post lift in FL for this purpose. I wouldn't want to own anything I couldn't work on myself (except maybe a Tesla).  In my experience most major issues machines of any kind have are caused from lack of maintenance/care or knowledge of what needs to be done. 

So the cost of ownership doesn't bother me at all, its the driveability that concerns me. I don't see how I'm going to be able to determine that ahead of time, peoples experience on this seems to vary greatly. And test driving these things isn't all that straightforward. I really don't want to deal with the whole dealership/sales crap either. I'm sure I could handle the unit regardless of driveability/comfort but I don't want to be miserable throughout the whole 3500 mile one way trip either. 

2 hours ago, JBaldy said:

Somehow I had it in my head that these things would glide down the road like a vintage Cadillac. I wonder if one with IFS is really that much better?

Guess its probably somewhat of a pipe dream thinking that anything I can afford to buy is going to make that long of a trip much more tolerable.

First, it's all in perspective @jacwjames Class C vs his Windsor, your Suburban vs the Travato are good examples.

Second, if you don't you'll always wonder if you should have.  If you do it then you'll know.  Definitely an adventure if you do. 👍

- bob 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JBaldy said:

So the cost of ownership doesn't bother me at all, its the driveability that concerns me. I don't see how I'm going to be able to determine that ahead of time, peoples experience on this seems to vary greatly. And test driving these things isn't all that straightforward. I really don't want to deal with the whole dealership/sales crap either. I'm sure I could handle the unit regardless of driveability/comfort but I don't want to be miserable throughout the whole 3500 mile one way trip either. 

The difficulty with figuring out driving comfort is that everyone has different reference points, and every coach is different. Also, a coach that's loaded up to live in full-time or a few months will make more noise on rough roads than an empty coach.

My original point was that if your primary concern is driving comfort while covering miles in as few days possible, the the Class B vans are likely more comfortable to drive (less wind/road noise), cost less per mile driven, and take up much less space in your driveway.  

Edited by jimc99999