Charging system

JTerry

I am new to the forum and hope I don't wear out my welcome with so many posts.

I am totally confused; I recently purchased a 2009 Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire and it has the Intellitec electrical controls. My chassis batteries are not being charged by shore power or the generator. They only charge when the engine is running. I have read the forums and some say they are suppose to charge and some say not. In my research I have found that if the Big Boy switch is not functioning correctly they won't charge. So could someone that has a 2008 or 2009 Dynasty with the Intellitec board please educate me. Is the charger suppose to charge the chassis batteries from shore power or generator?

Thank you

2009 Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire

I have a 2007 Dynasty and have just been through the battery learning process. As I understand, the Diesel motor will charge the Chassis batteries first, then if the house batteries are low, the system will detect this and the “Big Boy” relay will connect both together and charge both house and Chassis. When on Generator or Shore power, the house batteries get charged then if Chassis are low, Big Boy once again connects both. Not exactly sure of what gets charged first but as long as you know the Big Boy has to be working for both sets of batteries to get charged.  So I had similar problem and first search the forum and found how to dissemble and clean the Big Boy relay. That fixed my problem. The contacts were so corroded with green. It’s not hard if you pay attention to the instructions. Another cause could be my other problem where only 4 of my 8 house batteries were charging. By accident I found the negative cable going to the 4 bad batteries was corroded. By not charging for so long, it killed my batteries. I bit the bullet and purchased 8 new Trojan batteries along with battery caps that prevent the acid from escaping. Very happy now. There is a training paper that Mr. Cherry put out titled “Batteries 101” good training. 

Big Boy cleaning instructions 

https://www.monacoers.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=14376&key=b108d0e20c1747e195a3b8031fc23d73

Garry, thank you so much for your info. I have the video describing cleaning the terminals on the Big Boy. I will definitely do that next and hopefully my charging problem will be solved.

Jay Terry 2009 Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire

Watching a video is great.  But, our Intellitec expert,  @Frank McElroy actually wrote a paper (in the olden days…a WHITE paper” was a complete description, from an engineering or scientific perspective….HOWTO for Dummies…LOL) detailing it.  We have a LOT of how to’s in our file.  Put Big or BIG BOY in the search box in the upper right..and select FILES…bingo…here is the link.  Wiring diagrams and sanicon and whatever are there.  You can also go to the files section and find way more resources that you would believe….good luck…

You also get a BOGO…..how to figure out whether your problem is the Big Boy or the Intellitec control board….

2 hours ago, JTerry said:

I am new to the forum and hope I don't wear out my welcome with so many posts.

I am totally confused; I recently purchased a 2009 Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire and it has the Intellitec electrical controls. My chassis batteries are not being charged by shore power or the generator. They only charge when the engine is running. I have read the forums and some say they are suppose to charge and some say not. In my research I have found that if the Big Boy switch is not functioning correctly they won't charge. So could someone that has a 2008 or 2009 Dynasty with the Intellitec board please educate me. Is the charger suppose to charge the chassis batteries from shore power or generator?

Thank you

2009 Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire

I responded to the last post..cleaning and also the board.  So, these two oosts will get merged….

BASICS.  Your MH has, probably, TWO different Multiplex (MPX) systems .  On is the Chassis Control Module or CCM.  That is a Kongsberg system and you need to do a search in the topics and carefully read what NOT TO DO as well as what to tell the a average RV tech or a garage that says they….what NOT TO DO….otherwise they can mess things up BIG TIME.  Trying to fix a brake light or something that might not be working.  Failing to do this can result in damaging the MH beyond belief….and this is serious.  The Kongsberg system is the big bank of switches that are up front and control about everything you can imagine of the chassis….and they MAY (I don’t know) control your wipers.  The VIP smart wheel probably has them, now I reflect.  There has been an issue with the power supply to the VIP or something along their lines and the fix is simple.  You need to find that and do NOT let some run of the mill tech or mechanic at a truck garage start poking and prodding….MAJOR ERROR….. @Frank McElroy will probably chime in and either PM you or post the warnings for the CCM and also the $20 fix (parts) and a paper on how to get your wipers functioning….that is just a guess from someone who knows the basics and understands this.  Frank, an Administrator, is the Guru.

NOW…the next thing is you have an Intellitec Coach or HOUSE MPX system.  That is what is on the lighted  key pads or switches.  These are NOT related to or hooked up to the Chassis Kongsberg MPX system.  IT GETS WORSE. 

There is ALSO an Intellitec NON-MPX system that has many printed circuit boards in the rear run bay or box.  These are stand alone electronics and NOT connected or integrated with the OTHER Intellitec (MPX) system.  If you got all that…take a break and have a caffeinated beverage….here goes.

There is a printed circuit board crammed in this “area” that does at least TWO things.  It has a bunch or green LED lights and buttons.  The two I know it does….it controls the Big Boy via the Battery Boost switch and connects the House and Chassis banks (batteries) together…so you might be able to jump start the engine….

It ALSO controls what is called Bi-Directional charging mode (Called BIRD) in that, when on shore or genny, your chassis batteries will be charged also.  The inverter automatically charges the HOUSE and through the BIRD…thr Chassis. But when driving, the Chassis bank is charged from the engine Alternator….If the House Bank needs charging….then the BIRD kicks in and the  Big Boy is energized and does that.  NOW the fun part of this lesson.  When you push the Battery Boost switch, a FULL 12 VDC energizes the coil…but if you  hold it (some folks have recommended a golf tee) then that will fry the Big Boy after a few minutes.  Ain’t no fix…NEW ONE.  BUT, then, i know you are asking…how does it stay energized or closed and not burn up.  Simple , this board KNOWS.  Seriously, when the BIRD mode is needed, that board then PULSES the voltage….like quickly turning on and off a light switch.  You get the equivalent of a voltage that would measure about 8 VDC.  That lower voltage is FINE for continuous duty.  But the FULL voltage of 12 VDC is only allowed on an intermittent basis.

BOTTOM LINE….YES both banks are charged using BIRD technology so both will stay charged. If the Big Boy has pitted contacts, you may not get any current flow….so you clean the contacts.  If someone has burned up the coil…through “less than intelligent and  knowledgeable actions” then it has to be replaced.  BUT if the control board is not working…then even a NEW Big Boy ain’t going to work…so you have to know how to troubleshoot and figure out where the issue is…

Thats it.

1 hour ago, JTerry said:

Tom,

thank you for all the information. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain.

Jay Terry

Update….this is a busy day….and Kongsberg keeps creeping in.  I always thought that MONACO was a bit flaky and violated my own rule.  NEVER trust the model year as gospel.  We have anotHer 09 Dynasty owner…OPPS…his was a HOLDOVER…and it just got a NEW YEAR NUMBER…in reality a 2008, without the CCM, but was a 2009 MY Coach.  Have had the reverse….some late 08’…was NOT Supposed to be CCM.  OPPS…they were.  Read this and LOOK.  If you have the big black box in the bottom of the FRB like this…CCM….if not, you will have a lot of individual PCB with LED and buttons and such up front.

let us know….then YOU will know We have prints for both…

2 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

It ALSO controls what is called Bi-Directional charging mode (Called BIRD) in that, when on shore or genny, your chassis batteries will be charged also.  The inverter automatically charges the HOUSE and through the BIRD…thr Chassis. But when driving, the Chassis bank is charged from the engine Alternator….If the House Bank needs charging….then the BIRD kicks in and the  Big Boy is energized and does that.  NOW the fun part of this lesson.  When you push the Battery Boost switch, a FULL 12 VDC energizes the coil…but if you  hold it (some folks have recommended a golf tee) then that will fry the Big Boy after a few minutes.  Ain’t no fix…NEW ONE.  BUT, then, i know you are asking…how does it stay energized or closed and not burn up.  Simple , this board KNOWS.  Seriously, when the BIRD mode is needed, that board then PULSES the voltage….like quickly turning on and off a light switch.  You get the equivalent of a voltage that would measure about 8 VDC.  That lower voltage is FINE for continuous duty.  But the FULL voltage of 12 VDC is only allowed on an intermittent basis.

I have a similar coach and, when I have needed to use the battery boost I have pressed and held the switch while either trying the ignition key or the generator start. If I am understanding you correctly, that is wrong? Granted I'm not holding for an entire minute....but certainly a few seconds.

7 minutes ago, RVingShawn said:

I have a similar coach and, when I have needed to use the battery boost I have pressed and held the switch while either trying the ignition key or the generator start. If I am understanding you correctly, that is wrong? Granted I'm not holding for an entire minute....but certainly a few seconds.

Read the manual.  The correct procedure is to HOLD the boost for a few seconds….maybe 30…it is printed there.  You do this for maybe 5 or so times.  Then, assuming you get enough juice in the CHASSIS, you can hold it and try the key.  The intent is that s quick surface charge on a depleted Chassis by the House will put some juice into the Chassis. The Big Boy is rated for “intermittent or brief” bursts of 1000 A. So, you need about 1400 - 1500.  Then if it doesn’t turn over….STOP.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES….if you have the black box Kongsberg CCM up front should you or allow anyone to JUMP START IT.  That HAS killed them.  Kill both battery switches.  Hook  up a Jumper cable to both sets of positives…I would personally do negatives as well  Be on shore or start the  genny.  Then let the inverter run for a while until you begin to see “ABSORB & maybe 50 Amps…higher draw means it is pumping juice…let it settle down…rushing this could kill the CCM and fixing or even finding  a USED CCM is costly to darn near impossible.

OK, ONCE you have the chassis back up some…Turn off the genny or unplug.  Turn off the batteries.  PULL THE JUMPERS.  Turn on BOTH Banks…Start and let it run a while……. If the batteries are bad or will not hold a charge…  do the routine this way…kill the disconnect switches.  Jumpers back on.  Shore on or genny…let it get to FLOAT and maybe 20 amps…if you are still pumping high amps…then use the boost and start… LET the engine run for a while.  Drive it that way or go get a new set of chassis.  If they are duds…disconnect switch off.  Never hook up the chassis live or with the battery switch ON.  As long as the key is off…the CCM is asleep…the positive connection between the house and chassis…via the big boy or the temporary jumper reduces the high current spike potential.

The reverse is different; you CAN, with the boost or the Big Boy, safely start the genny…way less amps I would not have the engine running…the House will start the genny…easily….  Way less current draw…and engine and CCM are NOT ON.

That’s it..

Tom:

I am replying to this post because you had closed the other post to replies until we figured out what system I have. In that post someone was going to reach out to me via phone. That didn't happen. I have been out of town for a few days and got back today and verified that I do have the Konsberg CCM. I was unaware that you were not supposed to hook up a battery charger to start the engine if the chassis batteries are down. I have had to do that a couple of times. Hopefully I haven't damaged the system. My chassis batteries are not being charged when on shore power or on generator. I plan to clean the Big Boy tomorrow morning and see if that solves the issue. I apologize if I have been a pain for everyone but this coach has been a bit overwhelming. I also would like to know where we go to get help if there is a problem with this Konsberg system.

Thanks for all your help.