HOW TO clean up the wet battery and goop - SAFELY...??

Les Hurdle
Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

OK, done my best to do as advised.........  took batt which had most liquid excess on it to dealer......... he thinks it may have overcharged, but is ok since it is holding 6.7.  as are the others and not bulging.   Cleaned all the tops up, Made a stick to check levels etc they were pretty consistent.   I read the manual, it mentions overcharging but not how or why, I tried the dreaded salesman switch, seems to work, a little click and 'action' or not.

No matter what I try the simple fact is the house batteries have to be 'on' all the time while connected to shore power [or did miss page 1000.] I can't find anything in the manual about 'charging'.  

Where do I see, how do I know the house Batts are not being overcharged?

Slightly different topic........... are there battery trays for the purchase of, or must one make one......... how;-))

Thanks. Les

3 hours ago, Les Hurdle said:

OK, done my best to do as advised.........  took batt which had most liquid excess on it to dealer......... he thinks it may have overcharged, but is ok since it is holding 6.7.  as are the others and not bulging.   Cleaned all the tops up, Made a stick to check levels etc they were pretty consistent.   I read the manual, it mentions overcharging but not how or why, I tried the dreaded salesman switch, seems to work, a little click and 'action' or not.

No matter what I try the simple fact is the house batteries have to be 'on' all the time while connected to shore power [or did miss page 1000.] I can't find anything in the manual about 'charging'.  

Where do I see, how do I know the house Batts are not being overcharged?

Slightly different topic........... are there battery trays for the purchase of, or must one make one......... how;-))

Thanks. Les

Good Deal.  Remember, a good battery will “boil” or expel the extra water.  You can NOT overcharge ONE battery in a series strung connection WITHOUT frying the other.  If both are the same…the same current flows through each. But, if you pump high current into one with the electrolyte level high and the other OK, then it gonna “relieve” itself.  I’d still exercise 3 times. Then take off the surface charge and measure the “best” voltage.  Use the chart.  A Hydrometer will tell you the  cell to cell condition.  If all cells are close…good…if not…bad.  Remember a shorted cell will knock down a 6VDC into the 4’s and you need a new one .  Ain’t no AED for batteries with bad cells.