Bed slide worm gears destroyed!

Go to solution Solved by Gary M,

I’ve seen posts on replacing the motor/gearbox on the bed slides but not any on the worm gearbox that attaches to the motor/gearbox. My motor/gearbox is ok, but I need the worm gearbox. Naturally it’s a Lippert part, but not sure if it can be purchased separately. Any info would be much appreciated. And still trying to figure out how to remove other half of worm gearbox still on shaft.

09 Knight 38PKQIMG_6161.thumb.jpeg.42ae2b509457e63a0e01e2ea729ab52d.jpegIMG_6156.thumb.jpeg.322d122505cefe1975e3afac2ca6b152.jpegIMG_6160.thumb.jpeg.67cd71ba7c3f59f956f9352f18b24ce0.jpegIMG_6158.thumb.jpeg.fd8be822d0102764ecacb014350f15b0.jpeg

12 minutes ago, klcdenver said:

You might pull the gear off and turn it around to get you by until you can find new. 

That’s just one problem! It doesn’t move. Need to get complete shaft out first. Literally no room for pullers. And it has to exit to the left with not enough room to do so unless I cut right side of shaft off. At least as far as I can see right now. I was hoping it was the plastic gear that usually fails but it was good.

20 hours ago, Gary M said:

That’s just one problem! It doesn’t move. Need to get complete shaft out first. Literally no room for pullers. And it has to exit to the left with not enough room to do so unless I cut right side of shaft off. At least as far as I can see right now. I was hoping it was the plastic gear that usually fails but it was good.

Got drive shaft and worm gearbox out finally. Had to cut a hole in engine cover to get it out. There was already a hole for plumbing etc. Just made it bigger. Apparently the worm gearbox only is sold with motor/gearbox. Not sure if the new and improved model will be a direct bolt up or not yet till I start talking to people Monday. Pics of what I had to do to remove worm gearbox.IMG_6165.thumb.jpeg.76443b78eb19b953d3822ac41f67daf3.jpegIMG_6168.thumb.jpeg.29a5e2b95293c51b351a491b119d2e13.jpegIMG_6170.thumb.jpeg.e071ca5fb55df69ebc1f40bc4a8f0b6d.jpeg

• Solution

Update: Couldn’t find jus the 90 degree gearbox, so I ended up calling and conversing with Lippert on my situation. Apparently on all the groups I belong to, no one has had an issue with that gearbox. I guess I get the prize for being the first. Go figure. Lippert did not have a replacement (117292) in stock to get to me in time as we have to move on down the road. So I purchased one from etrailer. Received it next day. HAPPY FACE.

HERE IS WHERE THE NOT SO FUN BEGINS:

Right out of the box I noticed the New and Improved motor and gearbox that mounts to the 90 degree gearbox that mounts to the slide rail was for lack of words, wiggling. Started a case number with Lippert to complain about this “Venture” design issue. Explained I needed to install now and would take steps to make it more secure and didn’t want the warranty to be  voided. Alls good says Lippert. 
I have to separate the two units to mount to slide rail (114754) only to find out the measurement from shaft center to mounting holes on 90 degree gearbox don’t match original Tuson gearbox. Back Lippert I call and add this issue to my case number. Had to talk to several people there to explain they need to let “Venture Mfg.” know about this “Direct Bolt Up Design “ failure. Had to modify with a die grinder the mounting holes on the slide rail bracket. Easy peasy. Oops I need to grind some of the rail out too as the flange bolts now run into it. All documentation sent to Lippert just incase something fails down the road. After purchasing the New and Improved 117292, I found RV Upgrades has 19 of my model 133612 in stock. Go figure!!!! Could not get any Lippert person to explain the design change. Suggested Lippert discuss this to Venture Mfg.

Failure of my part in my opinion was no lubrication.

Lippert 117292 now is installed with mods to rail 114754.IMG_6206.thumb.jpeg.fd1303161e1705fdf6925bdc7afdea0e.jpegIMG_6207.thumb.jpeg.84d9c9213c92b65e971823094499734d.jpegIMG_6204.thumb.jpeg.354c0834efe65589447b79521c02fd00.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Update: Couldn’t find jus the 90 degree gearbox, so I ended up calling and conversing with Lippert on my situation. Apparently on all the groups I belong to, no one has had an issue with that gearbox. I guess I get the prize for being the first. Go figure. Lippert did not have a replacement (117292) in stock to get to me in time as we have to move on down the road. So I purchased one from etrailer. Received it next day. HAPPY FACE.

HERE IS WHERE THE NOT SO FUN BEGINS:

Right out of the box I noticed the New and Improved motor and gearbox that mounts to the 90 degree gearbox that mounts to the slide rail was for lack of words, wiggling. Started a case number with Lippert to complain about this “Venture” design issue. Explained I needed to install now and would take steps to make it more secure and didn’t want the warranty to be  voided. Alls good says Lippert. 
I have to separate the two units to mount to slide rail (114754) only to find out the measurement from shaft center to mounting holes on 90 degree gearbox don’t match original Tuson gearbox. Back Lippert I call and add this issue to my case number. Had to talk to several people there to explain they need to let “Venture Mfg.” know about this “Direct Bolt Up Design “ failure. Had to modify with a die grinder the mounting holes on the slide rail bracket. Easy peasy. Oops I need to grind some of the rail out too as the flange bolts now run into it. All documentation sent to Lippert just incase something fails down the road. After purchasing the New and Improved 117292, I found RV Upgrades has 19 of my model 133612 in stock. Go figure!!!! Could not get any Lippert person to explain the design change. Suggested Lippert discuss this to Venture Mfg.

Failure of my part in my opinion was no lubrication.

Lippert 117292 now is installed with mods to rail 114754.IMG_6206.thumb.jpeg.fd1303161e1705fdf6925bdc7afdea0e.jpegIMG_6207.thumb.jpeg.84d9c9213c92b65e971823094499734d.jpegIMG_6204.thumb.jpeg.354c0834efe65589447b79521c02fd00.jpeg

My experience with Lippert is my own…but, when you have a Lippert PN, it is OEM.  Ask for Parts First.  Then give them the OEM number.  They will tell you the Replacement PN.  The techs have NO DATABASE for OEM numbers.  BUT, once you have the replacement PN, then the techs can help you.  STUPID…both Sales and Tech Support say so…but no one in Lippert DP will fix.

also, the parts foks are great.  They know more about what sill work than the Tech Support.  Took 3 times to finally get the PN for my new Hydraulic and then, since there had been a massive overhaul of the syatem….she discounted it….quite a bit.

Glad it is sorted out.

4 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

My experience with Lippert is my own…but, when you have a Lippert PN, it is OEM.  Ask for Parts First.  Then give them the OEM number.  They will tell you the Replacement PN.  The techs have NO DATABASE for OEM numbers.  BUT, once you have the replacement PN, then the techs can help you.  STUPID…both Sales and Tech Support say so…but no one in Lippert DP will fix.

also, the parts foks are great.  They know more about what sill work than the Tech Support.  Took 3 times to finally get the PN for my new Hydraulic and then, since there had been a massive overhaul of the syatem….she discounted it….quite a bit.

Glad it is sorted out.

I only talked to tech support as parts sent me to them. He immediately sent me back to parts. The 117292 was the direct replacement for my 133612. The two issues with their replacement part was in essence not their fault unless they gave the wrong dimensions to Venture who is owned by Lippert. I had great conversations with Lippert once I had someone who understood my issue. And in my first call to buy the part from Lippert, I told them I found cheaper prices on the same unit elsewhere. They said no problem they would match that price with certain requirements, but didn’t have any they could get to me pronto. Also they sent me a $1000 hydraulic motor free for a spare two years ago. Very kool of them. So other than this part not being a “Direct Bolt Up” without some modifications, I’ve had good dealings with them.