Coolant warning buzzer

I have a scan gauge hooked up to monitor operating conditions of 8.3 ISC Cumins Engine. When traveling in 90 plus degree days and pulling my 7500 lb pickup my coolant warning light and buzzer goes off when engine temperature reaches about 195 degrees. And doesn't go off until temperature gets back down to 187 degrees. The engine temperature never gets over 200 degrees according to the scan gauge. Is this normal or should I think about replacing the temperature sending unit.

2001 Monaco Dynasty w/tag 

My 2001 Dynasty did the same thing when pulling my 7500 truck when I drove up long grades in Colorado and other western states. I changed the fluid, because it had never been changed, and it seems to be running cooler, but I have not tested it on long grades while pulling "yet". Will probably have a chance over the next month, and will update this post with the results.

Bill

21 hours ago, cbr046 said:

Maybe the coolant warning is triggering off of transmission temp?

Can you monitor trans temp with your scan gauge?

- bob

I think I can, I will check the next time I'm out. I have a factory trans temperature gauge in dash and the temperature always runs normal, I changed filters and fluid last year. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 10:33 AM, cbr046 said:

Maybe the coolant warning is triggering off of transmission temp?

Can you monitor trans temp with your scan gauge?

- bob

I can monitor trans temp, and it is always in the normal range

On 9/6/2023 at 1:56 PM, Bill C said:

My 2001 Dynasty did the same thing when pulling my 7500 truck when I drove up long grades in Colorado and other western states. I changed the fluid, because it had never been changed, and it seems to be running cooler, but I have not tested it on long grades while pulling "yet". Will probably have a chance over the next month, and will update this post with the results.

Bill

I have tested the coolant and it is OK, it was changed 2 years ago when I rebuilt my Aqua Hot