Soot Deposit on Exhaust Pipe

It seems to me that the amount of soot deposit on my tailpipe has increased.  I can not say for sure, but it does seem to be more lately.  Then again, I admit that as I become a more seasoned owner of a Class A DP I am more sensitive and aware of things on the coach.  I have one pic below of the tailpipe after I cleaned it, and then another pic of the tail pipe just about after 500 miles of driving.  The exhaust is not smoking at all and is clear. 

BOTH the engine and generator exhaust pipes are accumulating soot at about the same rate.    So I am thinking it is related to the diesel fuel.  There have been two recent changes that I am wondering if they could be contributing to more soot and would like the expertise and thoughts of this forum.  If it includes that I am being hyper sensitive and that this is normal, I'll accept that.

1)  The first change is that I have recently been predominately filling up at smaller gas stations , i.e., Sam's, Costco, and the like.  I had previously mostly been filling up at Truck Stops.

2) The second change is that I had been treating the fuel with Power Service Diesel Kleen and have switched to using Opti-Lube XPD All-in-one diesel treatment more recently.

Would any of these changes cause more soot deposit?  Thank you all.

Tailpipe Clean.jpeg

Tailpipe with Soot.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Bill R said:

It seems to me that the amount of soot deposit on my tailpipe has increased.  I can not say for sure, but it does seem to be more lately.  Then again, I admit that as I become a more seasoned owner of a Class A DP I am more sensitive and aware of things on the coach.  I have one pic below of the tailpipe after I cleaned it, and then another pic of the tail pipe just about after 500 miles of driving.  The exhaust is not smoking at all and is clear. 

BOTH the engine and generator exhaust pipes are accumulating soot at about the same rate.    So I am thinking it is related to the diesel fuel.  There have been two recent changes that I am wondering if they could be contributing to more soot and would like the expertise and thoughts of this forum.  If it includes that I am being hyper sensitive and that this is normal, I'll accept that.

1)  The first change is that I have recently been predominately filling up at smaller gas stations , i.e., Sam's, Costco, and the like.  I had previously mostly been filling up at Truck Stops.

2) The second change is that I had been treating the fuel with Power Service Diesel Kleen and have switched to using Opti-Lube XPD All-in-one diesel treatment more recently.

Would any of these changes cause more soot deposit?  Thank you all.

Tailpipe Clean.jpeg

Tailpipe with Soot.jpeg

Looks normal but then what do I know?

• Thanks 1

The second picture looks like mine, Diesel Kleen goes in every fuel purchase, I used it in my trucks when I had my trucking business and use it in our diesel pickups and my diesel tractors. When we purchased our coach 2 years ago it ran a bit rough, after a few thousand miles with Diesel Kleen it ran smoothly again.

If you’re looking at exhaust pipes on newer diesel powered vehicles and there’s no soot on the inside of the exhaust pipe it might be that they have after treatment systems, DPF or DEF systems. The new diesel powered ones are spotless!

Edited by Jdw12345
  • Thanks 2

What jdw12345 said. Looks like my 2005 DP also. I too use Diesel Kleen each fuel stop. Note, if you ride with your engine brake engaged, especially at low RPM you will get more soot.

FYI - I am not sure about post 2008 DPs that use DEF but earlier models this looks normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1