Webasto Diesel Heater

WOW! Seems like a big expense for a small solution. But, to each his own. I would think the biggest issue would be tapping into your diesel supply. Their website says it's designed for small to medium sized rigs. Our Aqua Hot certainly heats the coach well, so IMO Webasto makes a great unit.....Dennis

Hello Steve,

I have installed 3 of the Webasto diesel fired heaters, and so far they have been awesome performers. The airtop 2000 ST (they also make them for gas units) are a quick install and require little maintenance. They only issue we ever hear about is after the diesel sits in the fire chamber over the summer and the unit tries to fire 3 times, it will go into "timeout" mode, I believe its called. But that is an easy fix. If you are looking to put it into a large coach, I would recommend going with a 5.5kw or larger, then duct it if you wish, but you won't be happy with ducting a 2000. It has a 3-4" fan which does a heck of a job for a 20' coach, it will roast you out once up to temp and is very quiet.  But for a 40'+, not so much. Use the included 4' flexible high temp hose, cut it down to length, duct it to your desired location and enjoy. I would recommend getting and having on hand their tiny, over priced replacement fuel filters because they do clog up, and fast if you get bad fuel. 

Overall, it is a straight forward install. You may have to tap into your fuel tank if you don't have a spare port to tap off of, It does come with a 24-30" fuel pickup (if memory serves correctly) to make your own pickup, if you so desire. You will have to insert it from the top, we had to drop the fuel tank which was not fun but doable... It draws so little fuel, I was surprised when we did a test with a 1 gal container. It lasted over 14 hrs with temps in the 20's. Yes, their coach was insulated well but still, that is amazing. If you are looking at supplemental heating once the coach is up to temp and it is not below freezing, in my opinion- you should be able to maintain current temp pretty well with very few caveats. If you go with the larger 5.5-6.5kw, you will have no issues. 

Best of luck, and please let us know what you decide. 🙂 

• Like 2

This Summer I installed a 5KW Chinese Diesel heater in a basement bay, with the ducting coming up midship, with two swiveling diffusers.

Figured it would be good for 40's-50F temperature.

Got a chance to use it for the first time this past weekend.

Temp got down to 30F overnight. Had the heater set to 3, of 6 heat settings. Totally outperformed my expectations! Best mod I've made to date!

I installed it just because the cycling of my Aquahot wakes me up at night, and these heaters just chug away silently all night, burning a fraction of the diesel fuel the AH would burn!

No regrets!!

Edited by 96 EVO
  • Like 2

thanks , Was just thinking the 2000 st to just taking the chill out of the bus. But now will rethink it all and look at the 55kw.  Ben do you remember the name of the Chinese one? And how did you tap in to the fule tank I do not have a port.

Vevor.

Don't waste your effort installing a 2KW heater! The 5KW is only a few inches bigger.

I drilled a small hole into the top of my fuel tank with grease on the drill bit to collect the shavings.

Butt hole pucker factor is up there when you start, but it takes very little speed on the drill bit, so, no sparks involved!

** EDIT** Don't try this with a gasoline tank!!!!!

Edited by 96 EVO

14 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

This Summer I installed a 5KW Chinese Diesel heater in a basement bay, with the ducting coming up midship, with two swiveling diffusers.

Figured it would be good for 40's-50F temperature.

Got a chance to use it for the first time this past weekend.

Temp got down to 30F overnight. Had the heater set to 3, of 6 heat settings. Totally outperformed my expectations! Best mod I've made to date!

I installed it just because the cycling of my Aquahot wakes me up at night, and these heaters just chug away silently all night, burning a fraction of the diesel fuel the AH would burn!

No regrets!!

Is the air supply in the basement adequate to supply the Heating unit?

30 minutes ago, Paul J A said:

Is the air supply in the basement adequate to supply the Heating unit?

Yes it is. The ends of the 'C' channel frame are likely not sealed at either end.

I'm planning on drilling a return air hole under the kitchen cabinets, but haven't done so yet. 

Edited by 96 EVO

Amazon 

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Heater-12V-5KW-Motor-Homes/dp/B0BVBGH7YT/ref=sr_1_15?crid=29OY4U2E4EHOK&keywords=diesel%2Bheater&qid=1699056498&sprefix=Diesel%2Caps%2C1698&sr=8-15&th=1

I bought mine last winter, and bench ran it in my motorcycle shed for the winter ( ran maybe 6 gal of fuel thru it), so I was comfortable with it's operation and safety, before installing it in my coach!

If your interested, there's an Aussie guy on Youtube that has a whole series of video's that you will want to watch.

The install of the fuel delivery, and exhaust is critical for having a carefree system! 

Edited by 96 EVO
  • Like 1