Swap Power Supply for Microwave and Non-inverted Outlets Circuits

Bill R
Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

48 minutes ago, Bill R said:

OK, Splice is made and power to slide out outlets from the inverter now all good!  I really liked using the WAGO Lever connectors.  See pic below.  Made it clean and secure when combining solid and stranded copper wires. 

I decided not to, maybe to some folks disagreement, install a JB.  Just no real place for it, very tight,  and I do not think it is necessary.  Wrapped each connector with electrical tape. then wrapped all three connectors together securely with electrical tape into one bundle, and tie wrapped to other bundles.  All very nice and clean.

Now I am pondering if I want to disconnect the wire from the inverter going to the microwave and connect it to the wire coming from the 120V panel 20A breaker that was going to the non inverted outlets of the slide out.  These are all in the same area and easily could be done.  Just not sure if I am ready to lose the function of the microwave on battery power.  Although I never do use it that way.  And changing it would keep it from happening when DW forgets when we are not on shore power.

Have I talked myself into yet?

Slide Out Power Splice.jpeg

The primary reason for a Junction Box is to protect the connections (besides being a requirement in non-RV).  It allows not only for a place for the connectors to reside, but an easy to identify location for anyone else working on the coach.  If I, for example, didn't know you patch the wires, and then "hid" them, I'd not know to check there for a likely problem, or at least an easy to reach intermediary point to check/troubleshoot.  That said, it's your coach, and I am not aware of any violation of code.  FIY - there is "Code" requirements for low voltage (l.e., 12 volts) wiring in an RV, but not for 120 VAC.

The choice is yours regarding rewiring the microwave.  All that will happen is you'll trip the breaker on your inverter if you or wife forgets.

-Rick N 

• Thanks 1