Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Go to solution Solved by BradHend,

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that you made the wrong decision... and I hope the remflex gaskets last forever. My comment was aimed at those that that might recommend thick gaskets as the best solution.

Everything is a compromise, right? Sometimes a bandaid is the best choice available. Plenty of bandaids on my rig, that's for sure.

There's actually a set of unused remflex AMC 360 gaskets hanging on the wall of my shop that I bought about 15 yr ago before deciding to have the manifolds surfaced. I replaced blown-out exhaust gaskets (not remflex) about every 6-mo for 10 years before having the manifolds surfaced and installing them with NO gaskets. 

Edited by wamcneil
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wamcneil said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that you made the wrong decision... and I hope the remflex gaskets last forever. My comment was aimed at those that that might recommend thick gaskets as the best solution.

Everything is a compromise, right? Sometimes a bandaid is the best choice available. Plenty of bandaids on my rig, that's for sure.

There's actually a set of unused remflex AMC 360 gaskets hanging on the wall of my shop that I bought about 15 yr ago before deciding to have the manifolds surfaced. I replaced blown-out exhaust gaskets (not remflex) about every 6-mo for 10 years before having the manifolds surfaced and installing them with NO gaskets. 

wamcneal - Yeah, I understand what you are saying. It's a gamble regardless. Thanks for your comments!

On 12/9/2023 at 6:11 AM, Gweedo said:

Look for an old school parts house, some of them will have a flatbed belt sander.  They use this to surface cylinder heads and exhaust manifolds for the local automotive repair shops.  Or ask around some local shops to see if they have the equipment or if they know of another shop.  You may have to drive a little bit.  I am a strong proponent of resurfacing and thinner gaskets,  like I mentioned above mine was way out and it's been about 20k miles now.     This thread makes me want to find used one and have have it surfaced to have on hand for the next time.  Check to make certain of the torque specs when using a lubricant for any consideration.  You're halfway there, all down hill from here.  

Gweedo - Yeah, I agree! Kinda like just having my old 160amp alternator rebuilt to a 210amp (as my present replacement), so I can have it as a back-up! When I have done that in the past with several different parts - I don't think I ever had to re-use them :>)  Cheap insurance!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...