Question About Replacing Park Brake Valve 02 Windsor

Go to solution Solved by Ken Smith,

I have a new "park brake valve" (the valve you push to release the park brake or pull to set) on order for my 2002 Windsor. It has been leaking from time to time when the brake is set, and has gotten worse.  It is definitely the valve as I used to be able to jockey it a bit to get the leak to stop. I have not opened up the panel to access it yet and prefer to wait until I have all of the parts I need in hand. Can someone who has replaced theirs tell me if the DOT approved 90 degree air line fittings that thread into the valve body, that came from the Monaco factory are push to release, or if they are a compression fitting? If they are compression fittings, I'll probably want to replace them with push to release. Can someone please tell me the size of the right angle fittings (maybe 3/8" OD tube x 1/4" NPT???) I will need. I have not been able to find this info on the Monaco Parts list.

Thanks in advance

AlanC2

02 Windsor PST

Alan

I'd stick with the compression fittings if that's what is on it, they work better where the tubing may not come in straight.  When I worked on my air system I had one PTC fitting that I could not stop from leaking a little, replaced with a compression type and that solved the problem.

Jim J,  Thanks for your input! I'll keep that in mind once I remove the panel and take a look. When I found the valve on the Monaco Parts list the photo showed that the fittings are 90 degree with the air lines coming straight in from the bottom.

Todd,  here is the link to the part I ordered. It's on page 173 of the 1/17/2022 Monaco Parts list. It should be the correct part.

KN20031PTP Push-Pull Panel Mount Valve, 25-35 PSI Automatic Release Pressure: AnythingTruck.com, Truck & Trailer Parts and Accessories Warehouse

AlanC2

2002 Windsor 40 PST

I had to replace my valve the day I got home with my 2003 Beaver. I pulled the valve out and took it down to a local truck dealer. The parts guy said they didn't carry any crap made that cheaply. The whole thing was plastic. He went in back and got one that was metal. Connected right up with no problems. First one lasted less than a year, Second one has been there for 19 years. Buy a name brand metal one.

• Solution

Just change the fitting in you old valve to your new valve in same order you remove them from old valve. Take a picture of valve first for reference. Monaco used push in fittings when it was installed new. Make sure you use 3 wraps of Teflon tape wrap in the proper direction on all threaded fittings. It the fittings leak at the push in fittings cut 1/16" off to square end of tubing.