Grab Handle-Step Lights Not Working-Electrical Diagrams 101

LakeBob

Trying to chase down an issue with my grab handle and step lights.  They both quit working a few weeks ago.  This is a Kongsberg coach, all other slave and master Eaton switches are working properly.  

Chasing the power circuit to the lights from the CCM I see a resistor in the circuit (FJ-4 M) located in the Front Cap.  I'm thinking this may be the issue, perhaps a loose or broken connection or a bad resistor.   Anyone ever locate this resistor connection?

While trying to track down this resistor connection in the Front Cap wire loom drawing, I've come across several symbols and references I don't understand.  My electrical diagram knowledge is decent, however I don't understand everything I'm seeing. I've been unable to find information on these symbols on any standard wiring diagram charts. 

I'm not sure if some of these are specific to Monaco or the automotive industry?   Has anyone ever located a Monaco source document with a legend or information on their electrical drawing standards?

I've attached a couple drawings with questions noted.  I would be very grateful for any feedback on my questions.

Thanks!

Bob

Front Cap Harness-Notes.pdf Grab Handle - Step Lights -Notes.pdf

9 hours ago, LakeBob said:

Trying to chase down an issue with my grab handle and step lights.  They both quit working a few weeks ago.  This is a Kongsberg coach, all other slave and master Eaton switches are working properly.  

Chasing the power circuit to the lights from the CCM I see a resistor in the circuit (FJ-4 M) located in the Front Cap.  I'm thinking this may be the issue, perhaps a loose or broken connection or a bad resistor.   Anyone ever locate this resistor connection?

While trying to track down this resistor connection in the Front Cap wire loom drawing, I've come across several symbols and references I don't understand.  My electrical diagram knowledge is decent, however I don't understand everything I'm seeing. I've been unable to find information on these symbols on any standard wiring diagram charts. 

I'm not sure if some of these are specific to Monaco or the automotive industry?   Has anyone ever located a Monaco source document with a legend or information on their electrical drawing standards?

I've attached a couple drawings with questions noted.  I would be very grateful for any feedback on my questions.

Thanks!

Bob

Front Cap Harness-Notes.pdf 229.07 kB · 5 downloads Grab Handle - Step Lights -Notes.pdf 102.17 kB · 7 downloads

Here is a picture of the resistor on the schematic.  Since it's associated with the window harness, if you don't see it as a connector in the harness under the front cap, check the access panel under the driver's side window.  It could be located there. 

BTW, that resistor is to keep LEDs from being dimly lit when handle lights are turned off.  Likely you have a wiring or connector corrosion short and the MOSFETs inside the CCM are turning the circuit OFF.  Or you have an unplugged connector.

Screenshot_20240116-092529.png

Note, the connector for the resistor says FJ4 - sames as in your schematic.

Thanks Frank, hope you are feeling better. 

Yes, I see now that it was right in front of me...... I'll check in that area.

Sure wish that I could remove the driver seat easily!  Real pain to access that area/panel with the seat in place.

Do you have any resource that will help me learn some of those detailed references on these diagrams?

Thanks!

Bob

With the slide fully open and the seat turned, I'm able to remove that 1'x1' access cover on the side.  I would think that you have a similar side access cover.

As for the schematic numbering, I not aware of any document explaining it.  I go by connector numbers and the two other pages in that file you didn't post.  Connector FJ4-M  means Front CCM connector J4.  -M means the M connector lug on J4.  J4 is labeled on the CCM casting.  If you remove the plug you will see the pin lettering from A-P.

After 50+ years of reading schematics it comes as second nature.

Screenshot_20240116-124750.png

Now you're going to ask - where did I find that listing - well I made up a listing in Excel of all the J connector pin outs on the CCM modules based on the schematics.

Thanks Frank, yes, that seems like the best approach to that panel.  I’ve had the top driver side  switch panel off before and with the two off I may be able to see and access the wiring below enough to find and check that resistor.  

I did find the connector listings in the wiring diagram file and traced the FJ-4 M wire at the CCM. 

Not to hijack this OP but reading it brought up a curiosity question. Our 2005 Safari Cheetah grab handle light and step light have never worked. Actually did not know they existed. I looked under the retractable steps and see the light so I am thinking the clear Lucite grab handle may also have a light. Can any body confirm whether or not a grab handle light on the model exists and if so; (1) do they have separate on/off switches or one to control both and  (2) where is/are they located?

6 hours ago, 1nolaguy said:

Not to hijack this OP but reading it brought up a curiosity question. Our 2005 Safari Cheetah grab handle light and step light have never worked. Actually did not know they existed. I looked under the retractable steps and see the light so I am thinking the clear Lucite grab handle may also have a light. Can any body confirm whether or not a grab handle light on the model exists and if so; (1) do they have separate on/off switches or one to control both and  (2) where is/are they located?

If you remove the grab bar you will know for sure.  There will be a wire going to a bulb in one of the mounts.  On my coach there is a switch that says "step light" that lights both the grab bar and stepwell lights.

Depowered the entire coach. Removed 50Amp, shut off batteries.  Removed the panel next to the drivers captain chair and the driver arm rest instrument panel.  

Searched for the wires with the resistor circuit to no avial.  Checked a few connections and put things back together.  Put the meter on all the fuses in the drivers front outside CCM compartment, all good.

Repowered the coach and............................the inside step lights and the grab handle lights are working!   Apparently the reboot was all that it needed?

I hate when I don't know what actually fixes an issue, however I will take it!

Now, on to the Girard door awing fabric replacement, wish I could find some good instructions..........Unfortunately Stone Vos doesn't have an good instructions.