2009 OEM 65 watt solar panel. Problems and Recommendations (Merged two topics)

Never ending problems. Our campground was working on the electrical systems. The power was on and off, they were checking the grid, so the power was on and off. My morning star remote meter RM-1 is flashing red every second. I am not getting any power from my solar panel. All my batteries are fully charged. I unhooked the rj-11 from both ends and still nothing. Is there a fuse for the solar panel. Need help to solve problem. Called morning star and no help there. Under my bay is the controller nothing lit up at all. I believe that the controller also has a green light when solar energy is present. Need help

John F 2009 Monaco Camelot kfq 

Do you have the original Monaco installed solar panel, or have you added additional panels?

If you only have the original 100 watt panel it will only produce 4 to 5 amps at noon on a sunny day.  That's really not enough to power anything more than a couple of 12V lights.  

To troubleshoot the system I'd start by measuring voltage on the solar panel wires coming down from the roof.  Is it good on the roof?  Is it good coming into your charge controller?   See where the power stops and then look for the fuse.  

1 hour ago, jfasano88 said:

Never ending problems. Our campground was working on the electrical systems. The power was on and off, they were checking the grid, so the power was on and off. My morning star remote meter RM-1 is flashing red every second. I am not getting any power from my solar panel. All my batteries are fully charged. I unhooked the rj-11 from both ends and still nothing. Is there a fuse for the solar panel. Need help to solve problem. Called morning star and no help there. Under my bay is the controller nothing lit up at all. I believe that the controller also has a green light when solar energy is present. Need help

John F 2009 Monaco Camelot kfq 

OK....here is the print for the Solar Controller.  

FIRST....the "Power Company" messing with or cutting OFF the power should REALLY NOT have had anything to do with the 12 VDC system. That is powered by each battery bank.  Notice how the fuses are installed.  The fuses are in the Rear Run Bay in the last bay behind the "cabinet door".

The system gets power, when there is NO SUNLIGHT from each bank.  BUT, when there is sunlight, the system charges the batteries.  There are ONLY 2 FUSES in it.

What you MIGHT need to do is to remove the two fuses.  Let the Morning Start shut down and go to sleep and then wake up.

https://www.morningstarcorp.com/support/support-faqs/

Scroll down towards the bottom of this document.  There is a FAQ about Flashing Red and NOT CHARGING.  Read it.

Here are TWO files....the Monaco Print and the Main Controller.  I will have to post again to get the second file to attach.  TOO BIG....

OPPS, can NOT send it via a PM.  You will receive an email with BOTH FILES.  Check the EMAIL address that you use here.

Solar controller.pdf MS-ZMAN-SSD01-D1.pdf

MODERATOR EDIT

This new topic was merged with a similar and ongoing topic, started by same OP

END OF EDIT

I have a 65 watt solar panel. Does it do anything like charge batteries 100%. If I turn off my charging system is the solar doing any good. 65 watt is very low I think. I would be nice to know if it is charging my batteries. I have it programmed for 90/10

John F 2009 Camelot kfq 

Edited by Tom Cherry
Combined two same issues for clarity

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 2009 OEM 65 watt solar panel. Problems and Recommendations (Merged two topics)

John,

Please refer back to the posts when you had issues with the solar panel.  You did not respond if you solved the problem as it was "NOT WORKING"

Please advise what you did to get it fixed...as the above new topic, which was merged with the original, indicates that it is NOW working.  Did you read the manual or call Morningstar and how did you get it going again?

Next...  In answer to your question...the OEM Solar panel, and I have the SAME, does NOTHING but charge the two battery banks....House and Chassis.  Refer to the print for the Solar Panel wiring....that is all it does.

NOW...you bring up a point that I did not know...  I just read the controller manual. The 90/10 is a factory (Default) preset.  That means that your Battery 1, which is the HOUSE will get 90% and the Chassis will bet 10%.  I always assumed it was 50/50. When DIP SW 3 is OFF, it is 90/10. If DIP SW 3 is ON, it is 50/50....BUT if ONE bank, irregardless of the DIP 3 Setting reaches FULL CHARGE, then the Controller sends all the current to the one that needs it.  

THANKS...  I learned something NEW>

As for the UNIT.  It probably is barely putting out 65 Watts....maybe closer to 40% or so....that is the consensus of many posters over the years....not something that I measured.... You will have to read the Voltage and amperage and then multiply to see the REAL input to the batteries.

It is suggested that you clean the panel with a mild detergent to removed any built up grease and dirt.  A solution of Dawn Dishwashing and hot water should work. There may be more specific info in the manual.

Then, you should "treat" the panel once a year with a UV resistancy spray.  Aerospace 303 is what is recommended for all plastic and rubber parts on the MH to help keep them from crazyng or getting dull.  Similar to what headlights do.  

Let us know....Thanks.

BTW....I was NOT able to upload due to a system issue for a day or so.  It works NOW.  I am including the Manual for the REMOTE.  The controller manual is in my previous post as well as the Camelot schematic

SSD.IOM_.Remote_Meter_Manual.01.EN_.pdf

Hi Tom yes I called morning star they talked me thru a fix. I unhooked the power to the batteries and solar panel and took a small piece of wire and spliced the temperature RTS together and now it works. The 90/10 is 90% house batteries and 10% to classy batteries. The other setting is 50/50 % 50 to house and 50% chassie batteries. Morning star recremends 90/10. 

2 hours ago, jfasano88 said:

Hi Tom yes I called morning star they talked me thru a fix. I unhooked the power to the batteries and solar panel and took a small piece of wire and spliced the temperature RTS together and now it works. The 90/10 is 90% house batteries and 10% to classy batteries. The other setting is 50/50 % 50 to house and 50% chassie batteries. Morning star recremends 90/10. 

Thanks.  The FAQ I posted said to do that exactly.  That verifies that the park’s power disruptions and blips was not the issue.  Glad you have it fixed and that the FAQ’s are accurate.