Lvp flooring trick

I’ve had the floor down for a year now and just haven’t been able to get over the “hump” of the engine cover. 

I’ve seen a few here with some trim on the edges, and it kinda stuck out a bit. Buddy said let him try something, and it worked insanely well. 

He heated and formed the plank for perfect corners. 

Here’s the progress 

IMG_20240217_165717503.jpeg

IMG_20240217_165703192.jpeg

He did a test 90 angle 

IMG_20240217_170130732.jpeg

IMG_20240217_170147473.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice,

When I did my flooring int the bedroom I was hesitant about doing the engine "hump".  Mine is a square corner so easier to deal with.  I did use the trim, turned out pretty good, it sticks out a little but not that much.  Been in place +2 years now.  I put the floor portion down first and then the step up portion down which eliminated the need for trim at the lower corner. 

Floor engine hatch with step trim.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

Nice,

When I did my flooring int the bedroom I was hesitant about doing the engine "hump".  Mine is a square corner so easier to deal with.  I did use the trim, turned out pretty good, it sticks out a little but not that much.  Been in place +2 years now.  I put the floor portion down first and then the step up portion down which eliminated the need for trim at the lower corner. 

Floor engine hatch with step trim.jpg

Looks great! Is that the stair nose on the top? I have that coming in. It’s vinyl so will be easier to cut and work with. What adhesive did you use? 

I’ve started this project at the front stairs area and used Gorilla Glue Construction Adhesive, it’s clear and comes in a caulking tube container.  Seems to be holding on the vertical surfaces, wondering how much and where to use glue on the horizontal surfaces?  Just around the edge? On every piece? Or just on the edges of the pieces so the whole thing just ‘floats’.  Advice?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Looks great! Is that the stair nose on the top? I have that coming in. It’s vinyl so will be easier to cut and work with. What adhesive did you use? 

Yes, it is the standard stair tread trim.  Cuts pretty clean, I used a cut off saw and didn't have any chipping.  Still tedious to fit with a nice clean joint so I'd cut it long and slowly shave a little off until I was satisfied.  I used liquid nail to glue it down, gave me some time to get the alignment right.  Once it starts setting up it there for the long haul, so far no problem.

The stairs was a challenge to get the trim to look good. 

I bought the LVP at Lowes, it was the best Pergo that they carried in stock but unfortunately did not carry the trim so had to special order.  Pricey but no other good option unless I went with the metal.  

I did remove the carpeting of the bed box and put LVP on it, I used quite a bit of liquid nail on it and used clamps to hold it place until it somewhat cured.  Glad I completely removed the bed box and did it as I found the rollers had chewed into the bottom, fixed by adding metal strips.  Also added extra support under the storage area, there was only one support in the middle, when I had to work on the slide motor I had to be careful not to break the thin plywood on the bottom.  Doing the bed box made the final project turn out much better.

Floor Stair trim.jpg

Floor Stair trim from above.jpg

Floor bed frame bottom 2.jpg

Floor bed box bottom reinforce(1).jpg

Floor bedroom almost done.jpg

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cubflyer said:

I’ve started this project at the front stairs area and used Gorilla Glue Construction Adhesive, it’s clear and comes in a caulking tube container.  Seems to be holding on the vertical surfaces, wondering how much and where to use glue on the horizontal surfaces?  Just around the edge? On every piece? Or just on the edges of the pieces so the whole thing just ‘floats’.  Advice?

Going to glue every piece in the hump. I’m a 3M junkie so going with their semi permanent/flexible adhesive-sealant and see how it goes. The main floor is floating 

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

Yes, it is the standard stair tread trim.  Cuts pretty clean, I used a cut off saw and didn't have any chipping.  Still tedious to fit with a nice clean joint so I'd cut it long and slowly shave a little off until I was satisfied.  I used liquid nail to glue it down, gave me some time to get the alignment right.  Once it starts setting up it there for the long haul, so far no problem.

The stairs was a challenge to get the trim to look good. 

I bought the LVP at Lowes, it was the best Pergo that they carried in stock but unfortunately did not carry the trim so had to special order.  Pricey but no other good option unless I went with the metal.  

I did remove the carpeting of the bed box and put LVP on it, I used quite a bit of liquid nail on it and used clamps to hold it place until it somewhat cured.  Glad I completely removed the bed box and did it as I found the rollers had chewed into the bottom, fixed by adding metal strips.  Also added extra support under the storage area, there was only one support in the middle, when I had to work on the slide motor I had to be careful not to break the thin plywood on the bottom.  Doing the bed box made the final project turn out much better.

Floor Stair trim.jpg

Floor Stair trim from above.jpg

Floor bed frame bottom 2.jpg

Floor bed box bottom reinforce(1).jpg

Floor bedroom almost done.jpg

Bro that is a work of art! I haven’t thought about the bed box yet, but you have inspired me to add it to the list. 

1 hour ago, JDCrow said:

Going to glue every piece in the hump. I’m a 3M junkie so going with their semi permanent/flexible adhesive-sealant and see how it goes. The main floor is floating 

Bro that is a work of art! I haven’t thought about the bed box yet, but you have inspired me to add it to the list. 

Really like all your upgrades to the coach J D. Do the bed box. 

On 2/17/2024 at 5:00 PM, JDCrow said:

I’ve had the floor down for a year now and just haven’t been able to get over the “hump” of the engine cover. 

I’ve seen a few here with some trim on the edges, and it kinda stuck out a bit. Buddy said let him try something, and it worked insanely well. 

He heated and formed the plank for perfect corners. 

Here’s the progress 

IMG_20240217_165717503.jpeg

IMG_20240217_165703192.jpeg

He did a test 90 angle 

IMG_20240217_170130732.jpeg

IMG_20240217_170147473.jpeg

Fantastic!  I love the sleek modern look that provides, and no sharp corners to slam your shins into. 🙂