Drill holes for new seat belt under the J-Sofa on passenger side.

I just replaced the carpet with vinyl planks under the J-Sofa, I would like to add a seat belt, to do that I need drill two holes from the slide on passenger side down to outside and put two bolts from under the slide all the way inside and secure with nuts.

The only problem is I don't know what is under the plywood, definitely don't want to break any wires or pipe.

Have anyone done that? how do I find out what is under the plywood?

Please advise.

Thank you.

20240313_122658.jpg

Go to the bays underneath to assure all wires etc. are out of the way. If there’s a bunch to avoid it would be safest to drill up from underneath 

I’m just wrapping up removing carpet and replacing it with LVP, on my slide-out the seat belt bolts were flat head carriage bolts that came up from the bottom, very outboard edge near the wall, where they pass thru a metal angle underneath the floor. Not just thru the wood/fiberglass floor.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cubflyer said:

I’m just wrapping up removing carpet and replacing it with LVP, on my slide-out the seat belt bolts were flat head carriage bolts that came up from the bottom, very outboard edge near the wall, where they pass thru a metal angle underneath the floor. Not just thru the wood/fiberglass floor.

I’ve thought about this. Replaced my jackknife couch on the drivers side, flush floor slide out with a chair that faces forward. Would like to move one of the seatbelt bolts from the wall side of the slide to the interior side. I wondered if the bolts went through more than plywood where they are now and you answered my question, metal and plywood. Now if I move one to where the floor is just wood would it be effective for a seatbelt. Plus, slim as the seatbelt bolt head is would it interfere with slide operation in the new position. I need a solution since my wife rides in that chair. 

Edited by saflyer

I would think you would be ok if you used a large fender washer or better yet add a plate underneath in that area. More important would be how the chair is mounted. In a bad accident it would more likely be a possibility of the chair becoming detached if not securely fastened 

Edited by Chargerman

6 minutes ago, Chargerman said:

I would think you would be ok if you used a large fender washer or better yet add a plate underneath in that area. More important would be how the chair is mounted. In a bad accident it would more likely be a possibility of the chair becoming detached if not securely fastened 

Two considerations are strength of attachment and would it interfere with operation of the slide.