Calyx Internet

Go to solution Solved by Croom352,

Evaluating moving to this consortium (it's a 501c3) as a new, mobile internet provider.  Does anyone have experience with this:  https://calyxinstitute.org/membership/internet ?

It runs on T-Mobile (????) and unlimited (look, I'm not naive-all carriers will throttle if necessary but it has never been an issue for us). The coverage looks more than adequate for where we travel (primarily major race tracks outside metropolitan areas).  There are 2 basic plans:  $500 1st yr/$400 succeeding years (Basic) or $600/$500 (mid-tier). The primary difference is in the Hot Spot and its functionality/WiFi 5 vs WiFi 6 codex etc.(the mid-tier can handle 5G if we ever decide to upgrade our phones). 

Our Use Case is a Smart TV, 2 phones, and a laptop (email/social media, etc.) 1-2 weeks/month for 6-7 months, and as an emergency backup at home. We don't need it for our work computers anymore (Yay!)

Currently we have FMCA Tech Connect at a total of $582/yr (9 months at $60 per and 3 mos at $14 per).  Although I'm a big SpaceX fan (Occupy Mars--lol) I can't see the value in something like Starlink at its current price point.  I'm more than happy with what we have but always looking for a better 'cost of doing business'.

Thanks for the input.

We have the T-Mobile senior plan, two unlimited lines for $60 per month. Then we have T-Mobile Home Internet for $50 per month, $110 total.  We have never really had any problem with the T-Mobile coverage wherever we go with the cell phones but we don't use the T-Mobile Home Internet in the motorhome. I have heard that some do use it on the road with good success. We have Starlink on the Motorhome which I love. That gives us high speed internet and use of our cell phones on Wifi everywhere! I'm actually set up so we can use of the Starlink when we're at home as well. The only reason I haven't dumped the T-Mobile Home Internet is so the connected devices at home will still work when we're not there.

I realize this doesn't address your specific question, I just thought I'd through it out there.

@Bobkat11208 I'm surprised your phones work at the races.  When we're at a National Enduro phones are useless during peak times.  I guess that's the difference between 40,000 users suddenly showing up vs 2,000. 

Did some reading and Calyx Institute also provides free VPN services and secure OS for Android phones.  Reviews were good.  They even have a page on Wikipedia.  Perfect, if you're a terrorist!

Biggest downside for us is the T-Mobile / Sprint network which might work for some people but historically not for me.  Whenever my phone doesn't work at a location no one that's using a phone has replied "I'm on T-Mobile".  It's always AT&T that works when Verizon doesn't.  

From Wikipedia - In August 2022, T-Mobile and SpaceX announced a partnership called Coverage Above and Beyond where the latter's satellites would provide connections for cellphones throughout the US, even in remote areas with no existing service. The goal was to allow customers to have service everywhere, with no dead zones. Starlink satellites would function like cell towers. At the time of announcement, the plan was to start with text messages and messaging apps and using existing hardware as opposed to new phones.

WOW.  Might take a while to implement.  Here's the original announcement.

And yet I digress . . . .

Lastly, ran across this article - Which Cellular Carrier is Best for RV or Boat Mobile Internet?  (bottom line, "it depends")

There's a multitude of rabbit holes on mobile internet!  Where's Alice when you need her?

- bob

Calix Institute is an internet privacy advocacy organization and as a nonprofit qualify for unlimited and unthrotled internet T-mobile. You do have to use their mobile hotspot device. The program is a legacy program carried over from Sprint before the merger. 

Yes we have had CALIX for the last year. It has served us well. Another benefit is the cost is tax deductible. 

Yes, We got Calyx last year on the top tier sustainer to get the mifi 5g hotspot as we needed the best device for two people working remotely on video calls. as a backup we also have the verizon mobile internet from FMCA. Obviously, your experience will vary as it depends on t-mobile/verizon towers but everywhere we were last year , both worked great, with t-mobile being faster than verizon 90% of the time. 

• Solution

We have had Calyx for the last 2 years. As long as there is a tower, service has been great. We stream all of our TV. Surprisingly as long as we have one bar we are good to go, and the yearly price is great.