Carefree Freedom OTD Awning

Go to solution Solved by Timmy C.,

I am trying to find a motor for the old style awning. Carefree says they no longer have the motor available. Has anyone been able to cross it over to another motor. It appears to be a windshield wiper motor, but I'm having no luck finding something I can retrofit.

Would you mind taking a pic of it?  I would like to see if it’s similar to ours. We were told by one mechanic that it was a Volkswagen window motor and that they are getting very hard to find. We have a 2007 dynasty and have a picture of the awning in an older post. We haven’t had time to unassemble it ourselves to compare motors. Once we do, we will try to post our findings. 

On 4/5/2024 at 11:56 AM, Timmy C. said:

I am trying to find a motor for the old style awning. Carefree says they no longer have the motor available. Has anyone been able to cross it over to another motor. It appears to be a windshield wiper motor, but I'm having no luck finding something I can retrofit.

Take it to an alternator repair shop and have it rebuilt. I did mine and it was fast & cheap.

Dave

• Solution

Well I have managed to drain the water and cleanup all the rusted internal parts and got the motor to run again. I realize this is probably not a long term solution, but it does work as it's designed to for now. I am going to continue the hunt for a new motor.

I have a 2006 diplomat. What are the chances that I am changing my otd motor today. What a miserable job. You are correct, a direct replacement is not available, although Amazon is loaded with them. This is a very common motor. The difference I see is the replacement motor/ gearbox does not have the cast mounting standoffs like the original and will require shimming the bolts for the proper mounting. Assuming yours is like mine, there is some type of bastard aluminum gear/coupler attached to the original motor. This was easily removed and should reattach to the new motor. Frankly, it looks like Carefree used a hodgepodge of Parts when they were building this model. You will have to replace the three mounting bolts, and use steel spacers accordingly. These are easily available at any hardware store. The best I can tell, is this will work. It's worth a $39 try on amazon and I ordered it today and it will be here tomorrow. Don't take my word for it, do your due diligence. I'll let you know how it turns out tomorrow.

Screenshot_20240407_160657_Amazon Shopping.jpg

1 hour ago, Kenster said:

I have a 2006 diplomat. What are the chances that I am changing my otd motor today. What a miserable job. You are correct, a direct replacement is not available, although Amazon is loaded with them. This is a very common motor. The difference I see is the replacement motor/ gearbox does not have the cast mounting standoffs like the original and will require shimming the bolts for the proper mounting. Assuming yours is like mine, there is some type of bastard aluminum gear/coupler attached to the original motor. This was easily removed and should reattach to the new motor. Frankly, it looks like Carefree used a hodgepodge of Parts when they were building this model. You will have to replace the three mounting bolts, and use steel spacers accordingly. These are easily available at any hardware store. The best I can tell, is this will work. It's worth a $39 try on amazon and I ordered it today and it will be here tomorrow. Don't take my word for it, do your due diligence. I'll let you know how it turns out tomorrow.

Screenshot_20240407_160657_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Sounds exactly like the same setup as mine. Hope it works out. As bad as mine looked internally I know it won't last. I did try and make it water tight when I reinstalled it.

5 minutes ago, Timmy C. said:

Sounds exactly like the same setup as mine. Hope it works out. As bad as mine looked internally I know it won't last. I did try and make it water tight when I reinstalled it.

I should have mine tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes and what shims and bolts are needed.

Can you read the entire Bosch number on your housing? The only part of mine I can read is Bosch 058-05-??????

I have found a replacement motor but the problem is the splined shaft in the original motor. Did yours have a bastardized aluminum spline gear on the motor that was TIG welded to a aluminum half inch square coupler? Or am I just special; and I don't mean riding the short yellow bus.

Yes the numbers on the motor are Bosch 058 06 01 1611 and 390 251 687 CHP 11v. I also have the aluminum gear welded to a square coupler.

Hope this helps. I have not seen a wiper motor that has a straight splined shaft or with a gear on it. the window regulator motors seem to be more likely to have a gear on them.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the retrofitable motor which is slightly more powerful and a 10 mm D motor shaft/half inch square awning shaft adapter coupler online. Drilled two additional holes in what I call the P mounting plate and the shortened the adapter coupler by half of an inch. Far better than that POS welded aluminum do half inch adapter the manufacturer originally used. I have created a form that profiles the new motor as it is slightly larger than the original motor preventing me from using the original motor cover. All but one of my fiberglassing supplies arrived today preventing me from starting to create the new cover.

20240419_083127.jpg