Bilstein Shock Torque

I am changing 10 Bilstein 24-187312 Shocks now, does anyone knows what is the torque? On Bilstein website it has the following for the top nut:
https://academy.bilsteinus.com/knowledge/what-are-the-torque-specifications-on-the-top-nut-of-my-shocks
Size of Nut Torque
M8 10 ft/lbs
M12 34 ft/lbs
M14 54 ft/lbs
M16 83 ft/lbs
I measured the diameter of shock holes, it is M16, but even 83 ft/lbs still  seems to be really low to me. also they didn't talk the bottom nut.
How did you do it?
Thank you

Always go by the bolt size as stated by Beilstein or any other manufacturer. 83 foot pounds of torque will be more than enough. There’s really not much any sideload or should not be.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John C said:

I am changing 10 Bilstein 24-187312 Shocks now, does anyone knows what is the torque? On Bilstein website it has the following for the top nut:
https://academy.bilsteinus.com/knowledge/what-are-the-torque-specifications-on-the-top-nut-of-my-shocks
Size of Nut Torque
M8 10 ft/lbs
M12 34 ft/lbs
M14 54 ft/lbs
M16 83 ft/lbs
I measured the diameter of shock holes, it is M16, but even 83 ft/lbs still  seems to be really low to me. also they didn't talk the bottom nut.
How did you do it?
Thank you

From a practical standpoint, here’s the drill.

Top stud nut.  There is not, based on putting on my Bilsteins, any device made that would allow you to “properly torque” and measure the top stud nut. LOL.

The shop that was or is the main installer for Source Engineering, who sells the proprietary Custom Valved Billsteins told me his trick.  

First you need a 18mm (memory) ratcheting box wrench.  The FLIP OVER TO REVERSE, not the lever operated reversible kind.  Get a short stubby one.  Keep a standard 18mm around. Install the shock and work on the Top Stud Nut first.  Don’t even insert the lower bolt. Next…pull down the dust cover.  You need a small “locking plier”…or Vice Grips.  Needle nose or regular jaws….depends on the MH.

AFTER you run down the nut with your fingers, put the Vice Grips on the shaft….right under the mount.  That 3 - 4 inches never goes into the shock. With the shaft locked or rigid….finish tightened or torquing down the nut.  You will never overtorque it due to the constraints of the location.  Finally, wiggle the standard wrench up there and give all you got.  GOOD TO GO.  Put the cover back in place.

THEN, use the air bags to help align the lower bolt.  Usually not that big a deal.  A block of wood and pry bar will compress the shock if needed.

Torque the lower bolt per the spec.  Use an air ratchet or an impact gun, set to minimum, to snug it up…torque wrench from there. STOP on the first “click” or when the pointer hits your value.  Double and triple checking or torquing causes overtightening issues. 

I have 65 K on mine.  Never once had a loose lower bolt.  Had to tighten the front nuts once….you’ll know….it will “tell you” through the floor when the top nut is loose.  There was only one shock each time on each side….never both…. Rears are solid….never loosened.

Believe or not, I just talk to Bilstein , they told that I need ask Monaco!!!!

This shock is specific for Monaco and they don't have any torque information on it!

The torque value on their website is for other shocks!