Tire Replacement Discussion

Go to solution Solved by Scotty Hutto,

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Tire Replacement Discussion

My 06 HR Scepter 42 came with 295/80R-22.5 Goodyear G70 tires.  Due to the weight on my front axle I have replaced the steer and tag axle tires with 315/80R-22.5 Michelins (which Acuride Wheels says are acceptable for use on my rims and were $50 cheaper apiece).  The reason for doing the tag as well is to have a spare for the steer axle if an emergency arises and no 315 is a available.  That being said, the most common and least expensive tire replacement is the class 8 trucking industry standard 11R-22.5, which is the SAE equivalent of the 295/80R-22.5 (a P-Metric size listing).  The tire diameter is the same for each.  So, my current drive axle tires are 11R-22.5 Dunlop all position tires.  They have not affected my speedometer accuracy, which 295/75-22.5s will likely do in your application due to different tire diameters.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bluetoad7 said:

My 06 HR Scepter 42 came with 295/80R-22.5 Goodyear G70 tires.  Due to the weight on my front axle I have replaced the steer and tag axle tires with 315/80R-22.5 Michelins (which Acuride Wheels says are acceptable for use on my rims and were $50 cheaper apiece).  The reason for doing the tag as well is to have a spare for the steer axle if an emergency arises and no 315 is a available.  That being said, the most common and least expensive tire replacement is the class 8 trucking industry standard 11R-22.5, which is the SAE equivalent of the 295/80R-22.5 (a P-Metric size listing).  The tire diameter is the same for each.  So, my current drive axle tires are 11R-22.5 Dunlop all position tires.  They have not affected my speedometer accuracy, which 295/75-22.5s will likely do in your application due to different tire diameters.  

Great post Ron. Spot on!!

• Like 1

I run 6 11R22.5 on the rear and 315s on the front of my 08 Navigator. If I can’t get a 315 while on the road I’ll use about any big tire if necessary… 295, 12R22.5 or even an 11R aired to its max.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2001 Diplomat 40 PDQ.  I’m not a full timer. We use the RV for weekend trips and occasional week long trips that are less than 250 miles in distance.  I set the cruise for no higher than 65 for interstate type driving and less for blue top driving.   At this time I only plan to replace the steer axle tires and one on the rear. 

The tire shop I spoke to said he could put 295’s in an “opposition” brand for about half the cost of Bridgestones. But he said they wouldn’t have a cooling line/band? What is that? Is it necessary?

I asked him about balancing beads and he asked if I meant balancing bags (?).  I’m not sure what I was talking about, to say the least. When I towed our 30’ Airstream many other Airstream owners talked about installing disks behind the wheel that had balancing beads in them. They said it made a huge difference in older Airstreams. If I remember correctly, some also talked about putting loose beads inside the tires for balance. Ours was new when we bought it so we never had a balance issues, at least that I could tell. 

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. 

46 minutes ago, tomevansfl said:

I have a 2001 Diplomat 40 PDQ.  I’m not a full timer. We use the RV for weekend trips and occasional week long trips that are less than 250 miles in distance.  I set the cruise for no higher than 65 for interstate type driving and less for blue top driving.   At this time I only plan to replace the steer axle tires and one on the rear. 

The tire shop I spoke to said he could put 295’s in an “opposition” brand for about half the cost of Bridgestones. But he said they wouldn’t have a cooling line/band? What is that? Is it necessary?

I asked him about balancing beads and he asked if I meant balancing bags (?).  I’m not sure what I was talking about, to say the least. When I towed our 30’ Airstream many other Airstream owners talked about installing disks behind the wheel that had balancing beads in them. They said it made a huge difference in older Airstreams. If I remember correctly, some also talked about putting loose beads inside the tires for balance. Ours was new when we bought it so we never had a balance issues, at least that I could tell. 

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. 

OK….first….the story that the tire dealer gave you is a bit confusing.  There is no industry or technical term for COOLING Line/Band….that I could google and I tried various combinations.  What he MAY be, perhaps erroneously or not from good technical knowledge….and there are a LOT of tire dealers that no less about MH tires and us and application than the majority of our members….so, be advised…

Bridgestone Escopia (various models) some are STEER….others are ALL Position….check the size you need.  You do NOT specify the aspect ratio 295 / 80 or 75 or 70….  Be sure you KNOW that.   BUT the Escopia line is designed with a special tread sidewall that reduces heat and improves economy.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES would I buy a steer tire that was going to run hotter.  That is a recipe for a blowout.  All major manufacturers such as Toyo, Michelin, Goodyear, etc have “ENERGY RATED” tires….in fact, in California, one must (maybe?) have a CA CARB Compliant tire and you can’t buy non CARB.  At least that is what the literature implies.  I went through the Bridgestone tire “Bible”. SO, my gut says….only buy the GREEN or ENERGY or FUEL SAVING tires….flexing and heat buildup blows out tires…

https://commercial.bridgestone.com/content/dam/commercial/bridgestone/pdfs/data-books/Bridgestone-Truck-Tire-DataBook.pdf

Suggest you use and select the proper tire you need.  Or the equivalent.  Most folks are starting to migrate to Toyo.  Many concerns about Michelins as to drying out or sidewall cracking.  Members are also buying many lesser known brands.  

There are two brands of balancing disks.  One is preferred and some are changing.  Previously folks were and still are, using balancing beads.  However, most tire dealers don’t stock the preferred brand….and the “stuff” they put in, in no way resembles the better beads.  I chose NOT to use the dealer’s beads.  Centrifugal spin balancing works for me and that was a direct recommendation from the Engineering Manager of Bridgestone commercial tires….who was also a motor home owner.  But many prefer the more expensive disks.

You need to do a search.  Use the search box at the upper right.  Use a key word….BALANCING or BEADS. Then select EVERYWHERE.  That is a drop down menu.  Select TOPICS.  You will get a complete listing of all posts and you can read or skim.  Everything you might ask has been covered there….except the “Cooling Line/Band…. Now if you want to find the names of the two disks….use BALANCE or BALANCING & MAYBE a second word….DISK.  That narrows it down.  Always select topics.

Hope that helps….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

OK….first….the story that the tire dealer gave you is a bit confusing.  There is no industry or technical term for COOLING Line/Band….that I could google and I tried various combinations.  What he MAY be, perhaps erroneously or not from good technical knowledge….and there are a LOT of tire dealers that no less about MH tires and us and application than the majority of our members….so, be advised…

Bridgestone Escopia (various models) some are STEER….others are ALL Position….check the size you need.  You do NOT specify the aspect ratio 295 / 80 or 75 or 70….  Be sure you KNOW that.   BUT the Escopia line is designed with a special tread sidewall that reduces heat and improves economy.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES would I buy a steer tire that was going to run hotter.  That is a recipe for a blowout.  All major manufacturers such as Toyo, Michelin, Goodyear, etc have “ENERGY RATED” tires….in fact, in California, one must (maybe?) have a CA CARB Compliant tire and you can’t buy non CARB.  At least that is what the literature implies.  I went through the Bridgestone tire “Bible”. SO, my gut says….only buy the GREEN or ENERGY or FUEL SAVING tires….flexing and heat buildup blows out tires…

https://commercial.bridgestone.com/content/dam/commercial/bridgestone/pdfs/data-books/Bridgestone-Truck-Tire-DataBook.pdf

Suggest you use and select the proper tire you need.  Or the equivalent.  Most folks are starting to migrate to Toyo.  Many concerns about Michelins as to drying out or sidewall cracking.  Members are also buying many lesser known brands.  

There are two brands of balancing disks.  One is preferred and some are changing.  Previously folks were and still are, using balancing beads.  However, most tire dealers don’t stock the preferred brand….and the “stuff” they put in, in no way resembles the better beads.  I chose NOT to use the dealer’s beads.  Centrifugal spin balancing works for me and that was a direct recommendation from the Engineering Manager of Bridgestone commercial tires….who was also a motor home owner.  But many prefer the more expensive disks.

You need to do a search.  Use the search box at the upper right.  Use a key word….BALANCING or BEADS. Then select EVERYWHERE.  That is a drop down menu.  Select TOPICS.  You will get a complete listing of all posts and you can read or skim.  Everything you might ask has been covered there….except the “Cooling Line/Band…. Now if you want to find the names of the two disks….use BALANCE or BALANCING & MAYBE a second word….DISK.  That narrows it down.  Always select topics.

Hope that helps….

Thanks Tom. Good information and a direction to go for research and learning other details. 

On 6/11/2024 at 3:18 PM, Tom Cherry said:

Hope that helps….

Thanks Tom. Good information and a direction to go for research and learning other details.