Does Anyone Know of an Issue with Framework Inside Upper Front Cap Breaking?

We have a 2007 Cayman 36PDQ with about 30K miles on it. As we have accumulated miles on it I have began to notice a loud popping noise coming from behind the area where the TV & AV equipment is mounted above the drivers area. This noise is a metal on metal pop that occurs anytime we hit a sharp bump or crack in the road. It is getting worse as the miles accumulate. In Oct. 2019 we had the rig at Source Engineering having new trailing arms installed. Jim at Source mentioned to me that our coach was built in the Elkhart factory based on it's VIN. Jim also told me that coaches build in the Elkhart factory had a potential to experience a broken frame in the assembly that supports the roof, front fiberglass end cap, all the cabinets, TV & etc.. If this frame breaks it can result in broken windshields, damaged fiberglass cap and to the cabinets could start to sag.

Thus far I haven't noticed any sagging of cabinets or excessive movement of or cracks in the fiberglass cap. Nor have we had any broken windshields. Mainly, this ever louder popping noise when we hit bumps.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced or heard of this issue. If so, how did it manifest and how did you repair it.

This is a real reach but here goes.  We had a noise in the same general area but it was more of a bang that I initially thought was  something loose on the roof but found nothing.  Moved onto loose wiring in and over cabinets, loose cabinet panels or electronics.   Resecured everything, added bracing in the cabinets but the noise continued.  FINALLY noticed during a washing that the front door awning support arm had left a mark on the coach body...it was flopping/banging against the coach wall.  The velcro "dot" that holds the support arm in the awning arm channel had aged out allowing the arm to bang against the side wall.   Secured both support arms with short velcro straps and no more noise.  That "repair" took a year+...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, lake49068 said:

FINALLY noticed during a washing that the front door awning support arm had left a mark on the coach body...it was flopping/banging against the coach wall.  The velcro "dot" that holds the support arm in the awning arm channel had aged out allowing the arm to bang against the side wall.   Secured both support arms with short velcro straps and no more noise.  That "repair" took a year+...

Hmmmm . . . . this is probably why my previous owner had a tie-wrap around the door awning arm covering the arm support at the bottom.  When I arrive I slide the tie-wrap up, pull out the awning and now I can hook the arm support to the body clip.  I figured it was banging while driving so I never questioned it.  Only the front arm has the tie-wrap.

- bob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lake49068 said:

This is a real reach but here goes.  We had a noise in the same general area but it was more of a bang that I initially thought was  something loose on the roof but found nothing.  Moved onto loose wiring in and over cabinets, loose cabinet panels or electronics.   Resecured everything, added bracing in the cabinets but the noise continued.  FINALLY noticed during a washing that the front door awning support arm had left a mark on the coach body...it was flopping/banging against the coach wall.  The velcro "dot" that holds the support arm in the awning arm channel had aged out allowing the arm to bang against the side wall.   Secured both support arms with short velcro straps and no more noise.  That "repair" took a year+...

Similar scenario here, though it only took me a few months to determine what was causing the issue. 🙂 

I could actually see the awning arm moving against the coach in my side mirror as well.

• Like 1

Awning arm banging was one we had as well. I simply replaced the Velcro dots with heavy duty velcro pieces. No more banging.

• 2 weeks later...

I am well aware of the awning arm issue. I long ago put a tie wrap on the awning arms. That same awning arms can create a very annoying whistle if the foam (think pipe insulation) insert is missing on the length of the arms. I happened to notice while washing the rig that the rear arm had the foam insert while the front one did not. I cut a length of pipe insulation for 1/2" pipe and pressed it into the groove on the back side of the arm. Totally eliminated the whistle.

I my case, the popping noise is originating more on the drivers side. I have checked the TV mounting etc. and can not find anything loose.