We've had some horrific rainstorms the last couple of weeks -  lots of heavy rain and severe winds.  I washed the coach today and noticed the front door window has started leaking.  This piece of cardboard has been in the window a couple of years and never had water stains on it before.  It sits inside the metal frame so I think its the rubber window seal that's leaking and not the seal between the window frame and the door. Can I obtain a replacement seal for the window? Looking at it, I'm not sure how I would get the old window out of the frame to put a new seal in. 

IMG_4812.JPG

IMG_4815.JPG

19 minutes ago, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

We've had some horrific rainstorms the last couple of weeks -  lots of heavy rain and severe winds.  I washed the coach today and noticed the front door window has started leaking.  This piece of cardboard has been in the window a couple of years and never had water stains on it before.  It sits inside the metal frame so I think its the rubber window seal that's leaking and not the seal between the window frame and the door. Can I obtain a replacement seal for the window? Looking at it, I'm not sure how I would get the old window out of the frame to put a new seal in. 

IMG_4812.JPG

IMG_4815.JPG

You probably need to either pull it part or have a professional look at it. The frames  usually have a double stick tape that holds them to body.  Then, there is a caulk bead or seal that prevents water intrusion.  I’d do the easy part.  Take a “pointed” device , think  an icepick with a 1/4” 90 deg bend in the tip. This acts as a “scraper”.  Remove the caulk all around the frame,  Then use a stiff small bristle brush and clean the joint. Then use a Q-tip and acetone and clean the metal and the joint.  This a activates the surfaces.

Use Geocel Proflex and reseal or caulk the joint.  Pay attention to the top….

Then let it sit and cure for a week or so and then rinse with a strong garden hose stream.  Work your way up each side and finally the top.  You can put folded or wadded up paper towels in the window and have an assistant observe them.

If that doesn’t fix it,,,time for a pro.  Most glass shops can do this…

When you do your leak testing, use blue shop towels.  They make the apparent source of a leak very obvious, very quickly, before the water spreads out.  That said, after the caulking, taping the towels firmly against the inside window, and using a very small and low pressure stream of water (outside), very gradually, and waiting, as you work your way up the window frame, will yield clues if you still have a leak.  If no leak is found, then try the stronger stream with the hose.  You and your assistant can use cell phones or walkies to observe and communicate for best results.  Good luck!

Sometimes water gets in the door from where the hold open arm is mounted on the door.  From there the water can channel in different directions.

I have had the door window out on three different motorhomes. Once all the screws are removed from the black frame on the inside, and the frame is set aside, the window easily pushes outward to be removed. The  “gasket” is a very thin foam strip around the window, behind the black frame.  Some of the screws on one side, maybe part way up, may be rusty, letting you know to look on that side. Since your coach is a 2000, all the screws maybe rusty, and not really a clue. Dunno. We don’t have rust in AZ!

As daunting as it looks, the window can be removed by two people in less than ten minutes. Look carefully around the window gasket (widow removed) for telltale traces on the gasket where water might have gained entry, like dirt trails. Also, you can pour a little water around the bracket mount at top of door to see if water is dripping. Look all along the top of the door for any holes, too.  

I hope it is a quick and simple repair.